Electric Brain and/or Body Zaps

Discuss how medications do or do not work for you. Post as a new topic.
talkthedog

Re: Electric Brain and/or Body Zaps

Post by talkthedog »

I used to get that when I forgot to take my Paxil and when I weaned off of it. Craziest sensation. Took me five months to come off Paxil.
kitkat

Post by kitkat »

Recently I forgot to take my pill one day. I got a headache that night, which reminded me, but I figured it was too late in the day to take it then and that I should just wait until tomorrow. Well! I had a horribly dizzy night, some crazy dreams which featured lots of lightning, which made my dream self discover that I was actually Thor and that I could taste lightning. Obviously I woke up still very dizzy and out of it and with massive brain zaps and tongue taps, which I assume I had all night, hence the dreams. I took my pill earlier in the day than usual because I didn't think I could function with that level of brain fuzz until it was time. Eventually it subsided through the day, but I was fuzzy until the next day when my brain seemed to have rebalanced itself. Not fun, but hopefully it will help me to remember to make sure I take my pills. And now I know that I am a thunder god, so that's nice. :p
shawnkathleen

Post by shawnkathleen »

Jamous wrote:I think I understand what you're describing- if it is what I'm thinking then I've been having them for months. I wasn't sure if it was just tension in my body from anxiety that would cause me to suddenly jolt/flex/twitch, meds, or some other physical issue (I have so many anyways). I even questioned whether or not I was imagining it/making it up/subconsciously causing it to happen. lol

I've noticed a common denominator in quite a few of the posts, and that is: Wellbutrin
I currently take Cymbalta, Vyvanse, Neurontin, and Wellbutrin. I'm thinking the zaps probably started not long after I began taking the Wellbutrin, which was a few months ago.

Very interesting... :geek:

It literally feels like an electric impulse going through your brain and/or body. Until I figured out what it was, it was terrifying. I haven't had them since my first post, even with the reduction of meds. Who the hell knows.
hearttherapy

Post by hearttherapy »

These aren't uncommon at all (a.k.a. Brain shivers). Effexor definitely does it and I believe Cymbalta too - these are SNRI's as opposed to SSRI's meaning they help with norepinephrine too and not just serotonin. So, they work great but are a bitch to get off... usually the brain zaps come from being late on a dose or going off. If you're on these 2 you want to make sure you take them on time everyday. Going off sucks but I found the withdrawal to not last more than a month (which is long enough!!) and I have known ppl to to complain of that one symptom last past the month period and I agree that's little freaky and makes you wonder...
Nevina

Post by Nevina »

Yes, I get these if I miss a dose of any SSRI I've ever been on - especially Effexor! Right now I'm on a high dose (300mg) of Zoloft and I'm starting to notice the zaps even when I have not missed a dose, even if I just took my dose a few hours prior. But it isn't so bad so I'm not worried at this point. For me it has always seemed to happen most with eye movement..like if I'm look to my left without turning my head much, or look downward sharply. Just a sudden brief dizziness and electric tingle through my brain.
When life gives you shit, make shitade.

Return to “Medications”