Research on fast-acting antidepressants

Discuss how medications do or do not work for you. Post as a new topic.
Eternally Learning

Research on fast-acting antidepressants

Post by Eternally Learning »

Perusing science news and found this nice little gem.
The anesthetic ketamine works against depression by quickly boosting levels of a brain compound that has been linked to the condition, a new study in mice shows. The research may lead to highly effective and fast-acting antidepressants that provide relief within hours instead of weeks, scientists report online June 15 in Nature...

... “Originally, it was a rather serendipitous finding that this thing works,” Kavalali says. Understanding how ketamine triggers antidepressant effects opens up a whole new way to think about treating depression, he says, perhaps by developing drugs that have the same net effect as ketamine.

“This article gets to the idea that there are probably agents that have similar potential and might not have the drawbacks of ketamine to give people relief a lot faster,” says clinical psychologist Rebecca Price of the University of Pittsburgh.

Researchers caution that more studies are needed to fully understand how ketamine works in people. Severely depressed people, who have made up the bulk of study groups so far, may respond differently than people with less severe depression.
Most certainly only preliminary and likely much work to do, but here's hoping that years down the line this comes through. The main question I have about all of this though is how long the medicine will remain effective. I know with current medications, problems arise where someone uses one for a long time and it ceases to have an effect. If this type of medication acts really fast, I wonder if that means it will become ineffective faster too. Guess that we'll find out down the road as they continue testing.

-- Please note that this post is not intended to provide any medical advice of any kind and certainly is not suggesting the use of untested medications for treatment of any disorder or disease. - EL --
The purpose of life is to make it mean something.
jmh

Re: Research on fast-acting antidepressants

Post by jmh »

This is EXACTLY the kind of article I love: presents the facts in front of a scientifically-accurate backdrop and leaves any less-than-professional opinions out of it. Thanks for posting!

Return to “Medications”