If your medication is not working...

Discuss how medications do or do not work for you. Post as a new topic.
abbysmom21299

If your medication is not working...

Post by abbysmom21299 »

I have suffered with mental illness for almost 30 years. At 17, I was diagnosed with clinical depression. Over the next nearly 3 decades I have been on nearly every antidepressant available. Nothing has given me any relief. Three weeks ago, I was at such a low point in my illness. I was suicidal and spending every free moment in bed. My therapist gave me the name of a psychiatrist who she thought I needed to see. Reluctantly I went thinking that he would just put me on another antidepressant that wouldn't work. After talking to him for about 30 minutes, I was surprised to hear him say that he believed that I am actually suffering from Bipolar II. He said that many times when regular antidepressants don't work for an extended period of time, the wrong diagnosis is the reason. He prescribed two new medications: Lamictal and a new mood stabilizer called Latuda. Every day is getting better now. I feel like a different person. I was not only depressed before, but was filled with anger, anxiety and despair. Though I am not at what I would call 100%, I know that I have the right diagnosis now and my new medication will help me to have a much more productive life. Please don't give up looking for an answer for your illnesses. If your meds are not working...please look into your diagnosis further and make sure you are being treated for the right thing!! I know how devastating it is to deal with depression and anxiety and to want to just feel better. It is possible though. I hope this offers you some hope! And never forget...you are not alone!
Nevina

Re: If your medication is not working...

Post by Nevina »

Hi abbysmom21299, how are you doing? I'd love to hear an update! I have to say, your post made me very excited and hopeful because my story is so similar to yours. I've been on every SSRI, ADHD meds, anti anxiety drugs. My psychiatrist finally decided that maybe I don't have depression and severe anxiety after all - maybe it's bipolar. Tried Abilify - at first it seemed to be working, but the akathisia was was so bad I couldn't concentrate long enough to finish anything I started, not to mention the extreme discomfort. So I went off that about a week ago, and this week I am to start Latuda. I'm cautiously optimistic.

There cheers for doctors who are willing to consider that maybe their diagnosis is wrong...
When life gives you shit, make shitade.

Return to “Medications”