Anger: I’m getting help.

To open a discussion, post as new topic.
oak

Anger: I’m getting help.

Post by oak »

I have been a slave to anger for too long.

I don’t know how I’m going to overcome this.

I do know I won’t reject any idea, so long as it is legal and moral. Nothing is off the table to try.

There’s lots more I want to say, but for now this will have to suffice:

This anger ends now. There’s nothing I won’t try.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Re: Anger: I’m getting help.

Post by manuel_moe_g »

for me, decompressing and exploring my intense feelings in a weekly therapy session really helps me with preventing anger from building up

of course, I have the benefit of going to therapy weekly

if not have weekly therapy, you can journal your intense feelings

for me, it helps to speak to another person because my view of things can be so distorted

what do you think, do you think you can use this forum to help you? how about journaling?

please take care, I am very interested in your decision, because I am always working on controlling my anger, all the best
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress
oak

Post by oak »

Thank you, Manuel Moe.

I appreciate your insight and advice, and am making plans to effect what suggest.

I'll be sure to post here more.

For now I am wracked with anxiety, so these are the words I can use right now. This is all I can handle.
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.
preferred pronoun: "Good Boy!"

Post by snoringdog »

Anger and Anxiety.

Two states I'm quite familiar with, and have been struggling with for years.

Why the anxiety? - I've always been that way, even as a kid. Maybe an overly sensitive nervous system at the root, and then an over-active imagination and a little bit of natural obsessiveness and rumination on top of it. (Endlessly branching "What Ifs" can lead me down a rabbit hole)

Why the anger? - Probably because I wish reality was different. I have a hard time accepting things as they are. Death, suffering, injustice, the randomness of life, stupidity and greed of so many, extinction of so many beautiful creatures, and on and on and on.

Again, don't mean to hijack your thread, just registering myself as a fellow struggler....

SD
randomletter_uckface
Issues: Anxiety, Depression, mild dissociation, sex and love addiction
preferred pronoun: she

Post by randomletter_uckface »

Why are you angry, Oak? (if you know and would like to share)

I'd like to know how to deal with anger as well and make it into something more constructive.
(I'm angry about being depressed)
oak

Post by oak »

Thank you, SD and RLF, for your thoughtful replies. It is great to hear from you, and I identify with what you said. It is good to know that I am not alone.

Having dealt lately with exhaustion, my HALT got out of whack, exhausting me further, keeping me from facing my anger.

I think my anger is caused by two things:

1. Actual angering experiences: 90% from a toxic work environment.

2. Anger is "a secondary emotion". Everyone says that, but I don't know what that means. If so, anxiety is probably my primary emotion.

And 90% of my anxiety is financial: if I had money in the bank, and job offers, I would just laugh at the toxic work situations that anger me so nowadays.

While I work on my professional and financial situations, here is my preliminary anger plan:

Sick of being HALT, after work yesterday I got starchy food (the only kind that satisfies me). I intend to eat smaller meals, more often.

I also intend to get serious about daily habits of tai chi, core work, and naps. I am very lucky to have an office with a door, and no one says anything if I it close it 5-10 min, twice a day, to get some tai chi in at 10:30 and 2:30. During lunch I can do my core exercises and take a quick nap.

I hope these efforts to mitigate my exhaustion will give me some breathing space to effect more substantial efforts to directly confront my anger.

Updates soon!
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.
preferred pronoun: "Good Boy!"

Post by snoringdog »

Hello Oak,

Sounds like a good plan. Keeping the blood sugar even and exerting a bit of control over the circumstances. Work pressures can weigh one down, can't they? Been there....

(And the thought occurred to me today about victim-hood versus agency. Read somewhere about thinking/deciding "Challenge Accepted" upon waking.)

Anger has been discussed a lot here it appears. Just type in "Anger" in the search box and go back to page 55 from 2011...

SD

Return to “Help, I don't know where to begin to get well!”