This song rocks. And speaks to me to my younger self.

Whether it is good or bad, talk about it here.
oak

This song rocks. And speaks to me to my younger self.

Post by oak »

Friends, I offer you a song and video that is at once charmingly dated, and evergreen, “Alone” by Heart.

https://youtu.be/1Cw1ng75KP0

Besides totally rocking, which it wholly does, it touches on many of that-era me’s most hidden experiences (and therefore the most important, and tender experiences, that I could hardly admit to myself, much less others):

1. Unrequited love
2. Stuffing feelings down
3. Not being able to express myself

And maybe that evolution, from repressed young man to healing man in his prime, is what mental health is about: becoming more myself. Less shame, more honesty (especially if that honesty is awkward to say out loud, and painful to admit even to oneself).
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
Mental Fairy
Issues: Recently sleep walking increased. History of anxiety depression
preferred pronoun: She

Re: This song rocks. And speaks to me to my younger self.

Post by Mental Fairy »

Hi Oak
Thanks for the song video. Big tick from me.
I agree as we age we become more us? Less to hide. However I do fear the younger generation will not be this way. Going by the amount of artificial nails, eyelashes, hair pieces and makeup I see many wearing I fear all out plumbing systems will fail from being all clogged up!
oak

Re: This song rocks. And speaks to me to my younger self.

Post by oak »

Well said, Mental Fairy. What is artifice? What must a young person do to keep up? What are the consequences of this escalation of “reality”? Can the young people really know themselves?

My guess: our generation was about being repressed. I see the next generation much less repressed, happily, yet like you I worry about the effect of filters etc.

Friends, I give you another rockin’ 80s video:

https://youtu.be/Bx51eegLTY8
“Take my Breath Away” -Berlin

In addition to rockin’, oh how the camera loves Kelly McGinnis. She looks so dreamy, circa 47 seconds in. Sigh.

Also, Mental Fairy, I wanted to share this happy yoga news with you:

I think the young lady at the front desk noticed me. She had a ring, so I won’t invite her out, but this is a good chance to practice staying cool in an anxiety-creating (but fun!) situation.

Yoga is not a natural fit for me, so it is good for me to expand my comfort with discomfort, both on the mat and the social aspects.

I may see her Thursday. I’ll try to remember to breathe when talking to her.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim

Return to “How Do You Feel Right Now”