Sometimes the World is Overwhelming

Whether it is good or bad, talk about it here.
brownblob
Issues: depression and anxiety
preferred pronoun: whatshisname

Re: Sometimes the World is Overwhelming

Post by brownblob »

I don't know, but sometimes you have to just realize you are powerless and let it go. We may be headed for a cliff but we are in the backseat strapped into our childseats.
I don't like people much and they don't much like me. -A Beautiful Mind
I'm Homesick for a home I never had.--Soul Asylum "Homesick"
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.
preferred pronoun: "Good Boy!"

Post by snoringdog »

Hello Brownblob!

Shit, that's some image...

But it implies that maybe there are adults in the front seats?
Not sure about that.... :(
brownblob
Issues: depression and anxiety
preferred pronoun: whatshisname

Post by brownblob »

Not sure about that either. The last year has really shaken my faith in humanity. Maybe it is where I live and the people I work with and the idiots that news channels love to show, but people did not react to the pandemic as I thought they would. People have not reacted to other news events of the last year as I would have thought. I'm not trying to be political here. Neither party represents me, but just the reactions that people have made me question some views I had of humanity and the direction we are going. :auto-crash: :angry-banghead:
I don't like people much and they don't much like me. -A Beautiful Mind
I'm Homesick for a home I never had.--Soul Asylum "Homesick"
rivergirl
Issues: Depression, Anxiety

Post by rivergirl »

I don't think it's megalomania to want there to be less suffering in the world. You're a sensitive and caring person, snoringdog.

I remember as a child being so pissed at Old Testament Sunday school stories about God's cruelty that I wished that I could replace Him. I think it was God drowning most living creatures on earth in the Noah's Ark story that pushed me over the edge. Okay, maybe I just have megalomaniac tendencies myself. ;)

That is quite an image, brownblob. I know some of our views are shaped by the sensationalistic stories that get the most attention, but I too feel my faith in humans further shaken during the pandemic.
Beany Boo
Issues: Risk averse, conversation difficulty, relationship difficulty
preferred pronoun: He/him

Post by Beany Boo »

Sherri Mitchell, a Penobscot elder and long time human rights lawyer, tells a salient story, that reframes the ‘world’s suffering.’

‘The Dance of the Cannibal Giant’

34:19 on the podcast No Place Like Home. It may need more context than the story on it’s own, I’m not sure. I don’t want to presume others’ views either.

https://www.noplacelikehomepodcast.com/this-season

https://open.spotify.com/episode/73s21bm9IP82bSdH2yRwhf

It helped me. May not be for all.
Mr (blue) B. Boo

‘Out of nowhere the mind comes forth.’ - Zen koan

‘Let go or be dragged.’ - Zen proverb

‘Knowing how to yield is strength.’ - Laozi
Reggie
Issues: Depression, PTSD
preferred pronoun: she

Post by Reggie »

Try to focus on the things in your direct environment and the things you can influence. If it gets too overwhelming, turn off the news and media for a while. You cannot control what is happening so focus on letting this go.
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.

Post by snoringdog »

Hello everyone,

Thanks for your thoughtful replies.
There are a number of elements to this in me I'm sure, and I haven't quite clarified the various thoughts I've had, and why things can bother me so, sometimes.

In CBT they talk about discovering Core Beliefs and how they influence feelings and cognitions. Need to do a little homework..
snoringdog

Post by snoringdog »

So, last week two major events happened almost simultaneously;

The large earthquake in Haiti, and the collapse of the Afghan government, with the attendant chaos in the country.
One was natural, and the other man-made.

These felt like a one-two punch, and left me depleted for several days...

Why should this be?
Why should I care so much?
Why should I expect the world to be any better or more stable than it is?

And thinking of those left maimed with absolutely nothing, and those facing uncertainty and possible imminent death at the hands of the ignorant....

I'm here, worried about myself, and my own relatively minor stressors?

:roll:
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Post by manuel_moe_g »

Hey SnoringDog,

The world has problems, and we have personal problems. The two are incommensurate - it is a logical fallacy to compare the two. None of this stuff is a competition. We deal with both as best we can with what limited resources we have.

Please don't feel insignificant compared to the problems of the world, SnoringDog (and our friend BrownBlob). You guys are very much significant and worth and good people.
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress
snoringdog

Post by snoringdog »

Hello Manny,

Thanks, and yes I do know that.

But not sure why I let things get to me like they do. A combination of feeling powerless along with a belief that things "really shouldn't be this way".
Probably relates to the religious leanings I had when growing up, and a general sense of the injustice in the world.

When in the depths, it's impossible to see beyond my own skull, but at other times, it's good to try to maintain some perspective.

And how fortunate we are to be able to say "It's going to be a good day", and even have half a chance of it turning out so, right?!

Wishing you well..

Return to “How Do You Feel Right Now”