Scripting for upcoming upset: next two weeks.

Whether it is good or bad, talk about it here.
oak

Scripting for upcoming upset: next two weeks.

Post by oak »

While I hope I'm wrong, I can see considerable upset in the next two weeks. In addition to the national tension, I've noticed the older/crabbier people in my small town getting a bit crabbier.

I don't want any part of that aggression, for two reasons:

1. I have enough negativity in my life, and can't afford to get offended from someone else.

2. I have dreams and aspirations that will take all my energy. Specifically:

a. Conducting a job search
b. Going for my higher-grade orange belts
c. Enjoying carnitas tacos most days
d. Improving my job prospects by resuming teaching myself code/web, which is a love/hate relationship

A job search is a personal crisis, even in the best of times, and these are not the best of times. That is reason enough to not engage: none of these people will get me closer to these fine goals.

Though it can be tempting and easy to respond to, or get mad about an old crab, here are phrases I can have ready should some stranger start to talk negatively to me:

"I can't help you with that."
"I don't know."
"Don't come any closer."
"I have to go."

(btw I've had to say each of the above to troubled people who have accosted me.)

My main goal is to always walk away from aggression, so I can arrive home and enjoy my carnitas and pico de gallo. Nothing out there is worth the pico.

I'll let you know how I do!
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
rivergirl
Issues: Depression, Anxiety

Re: Scripting for upcoming upset: next two weeks.

Post by rivergirl »

This sounds like a great plan, Oak.

You don't know what kind of background people have, or what trauma or pain they may be dealing with, but you have the right to protect yourself first and maintain your personal space in this time of pandemic. :hand:

It's good that you have a personal goal in addition to your job search goal, and that you included a bit of a reward for yourself as well (carnitas & pico).

Keep us posted.
brownblob
Issues: depression and anxiety
preferred pronoun: whatshisname

Post by brownblob »

If someone says something about the election I normally just tell people I don't really follow politics but other good replies are "When is that anyway?" or "Who's running this year?" I find acting stupid and disinterested turns angry people off.
I don't like people much and they don't much like me. -A Beautiful Mind
I'm Homesick for a home I never had.--Soul Asylum "Homesick"
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.
preferred pronoun: "Good Boy!"

Post by snoringdog »

Hello Brownblob,

Your post made me laugh out loud! Thanks for that.

Hope you're OK.

SD
oak

Post by oak »

Very true, SnoringDog: Brownblob has it right when dealing with people acting in bad faith.

Update!

1. I've chosen to firmly create boundaries in the last week with two acquaintances who who pushed the limits of what they could ask of me.

2. I've not run into any troubled/deranged/angry people IRL since first posting here, though I've of course been staying in mostly.

3. With all the upset and violence I am certainly over the national news. It is like a virus of anger. I better not say any more, but I've seen the virus of anger in people, especially older people. I've already said too much (but feel free to read between the lines).

So, friends, I'll minimize my time out IRL this week, and if I do go out, I remember that I am not there to argue with troubled souls.

Thanks for listening!
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
Beany Boo
Issues: Risk averse, conversation difficulty, relationship difficulty
preferred pronoun: He/him

Post by Beany Boo »

Oak,

Do not doomscroll.

:)
Mr (blue) B. Boo

‘Out of nowhere the mind comes forth.’ - Zen koan

‘Let go or be dragged.’ - Zen proverb

‘Knowing how to yield is strength.’ - Laozi
oak

Post by oak »

Word!

I’m doing well with it, and I hope you are too.
Beany Boo
Issues: Risk averse, conversation difficulty, relationship difficulty
preferred pronoun: He/him

Post by Beany Boo »

It feels presumptuous to have written that apropos of nothing but it occurred to me that that might have been preoccupying you at the time. It’s reasonable that it would be. I’m glad you’re managing.
Mr (blue) B. Boo

‘Out of nowhere the mind comes forth.’ - Zen koan

‘Let go or be dragged.’ - Zen proverb

‘Knowing how to yield is strength.’ - Laozi
rivergirl
Issues: Depression, Anxiety

Post by rivergirl »

I'm glad you're safe and doing okay with doomscrolling, Oak. I hope this is a good week for you.
oak

Post by oak »

Thanks friends!

While my doomscrolling remains low and my hope for the future remains high (details soon!), I am deeply sorrowed to see that passions are getting inflamed nationally.

For some time I’ve considered it 50-50 that society will be shut dow again due to covid (and I have on excellent authority that things are already really bad in the hospitals). That I can deal with: no in-person tae Kwan do and avoid the coffee shop are very reasonable actions I would immediately embrace.

But to face the social (or worse, asocial violence) of unrest really exhausts me. Just the thought of it.

So my plan, FWIW, is to focus on my mid-term future: six to twelve months out. There is excellent hope for an effective vaccine, and when society reopens for real, I want to be ready. I want to see this future.

Return to “How Do You Feel Right Now”