Fascinating book: A Voyage for Madmen

Whether it is good or bad, talk about it here.
oak

Fascinating book: A Voyage for Madmen

Post by oak »

(Note: this is a companion thread to my July journey towards a Mediterranean Diet. It is no exaggeration to say both obesity and sailing are life and death situations.)

1. A frank and unsparing look at one of the contestants.
2. How this applies to me, my obesity, and the Mediterranean diet.

A frank and unsparing look at one of the contestants.

I'm reading the fascinating 2001 book "A Voyage for Madmen" about an around the world solo sailing competition in the 60's. It is a quick, fascinating read that contains many lessons. I'm about halfway through, and reality (the seas, storms) are already revealing character.

Each contestant is facing a difficult challenge, guaranteed to go through the roughest waters, face loneliness, and perhaps come out the other end as transformed men.

Each man (this was in more benighted days, as far as gender equality) had to sail by himself with no stopping for food, water, or supplies.

There are three types of contestant:

1. Prepared, experienced sailors. They had different kinds of boats, but each man worked with the boat he had. These men, while suffering sometimes to be sure, had a great time and really loved the sea.

2. Overwhelmed brothers who realized they were in over their heads and got out in a timely fashion, failing to complete the race but earning the esteem of their friends for forthrightly facing reality. They lived: a bit chastened, but no one thought any less of them.

3. Donald Crowhurst.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Crowhurst#Crowhurst's_boat_and_preparations

To his credit, he was a smart and ambitious man. He had a big dream.

His manifold errors, stupid pride, and disorganization cost him his ship, his reputation, and his life.

He made several grave errors (which the smart brothers of #1 and #2 above were diligent to avoid):

1. He waited til the last minute for everything.

2. He did not keep the main thing the main thing.

3. He wasn't honest.

4. He did not surround himself with diligent people.

These errors cost him his life.

How this applies to me, my obesity, and the Mediterranean diet.

I don't say this to condemn this foolishness, though he was foolish, but because I realize I have a Donald Crowhurst in me.

I say I don't want to be obese but I love steaks and cake and candy and fries and pizza and whole milk and more pizza.

Obesity and sleep apnea kill just as surely as the sea. Each is impersonal.

Donald Crowhurst, despite or because of all his faults, offers a chilling lesson.

Will I listen?
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
Mental Fairy
Issues: Recently sleep walking increased. History of anxiety depression
preferred pronoun: She

Re: Fascinating book: A Voyage for Madmen

Post by Mental Fairy »

Oak, my friend you are deep in the depth of the brain ocean.
What really stood out from your description of the book was the types of people whom took on such a challenge.
The mention of surrounding themselves with the wrong people and from that energy on the ship will change immediately, only leading to some serious downfalls both mentally and physically on board any vessel.

Having a plan and making necessary changes along the way on those moments of presentness is key.
We can’t allow the path behind us to navigate a journey, we also can’t allow our future that’s not lived yet decide our outcome. It’s about now in the moment, even in storms and high seas that force back with incredible resistance we have to set sail. We have to accept and forge forward.

You my friend are on a path that will push back but you can do this step by step. Your brain is so much more powerful then you give credit.
I believe in you. Your here on this forum for a reason, as long as you are on this page, on this planet you have a purpose. Your are needed by others you have never seen face to face. You are worth the positive changes you plan to make because deep down you already know that.

My husband battles with weight and I see what’s it’s doing to him, I absolutely love him no matter that size he is. It’s only the person inside that can change the outside.

Absolutely adore hearing your courage. You are far stronger than I in a public setting!!
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Post by manuel_moe_g »

stupid managing my mood with eating, i am losing the battle with my weight

i know Oak will fare better than i
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.
preferred pronoun: "Good Boy!"

Post by snoringdog »

Hello Oak,

Great post! (As we've come to expect :) )

On the subject of sailing, here's a story of a young lass who did things right.
It's a documentary called Maiden, and I can't recommend it enough. Watched it twice with admiration and a bit of envy...

https://www.sonyclassics.com/maiden/#1stPage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMBM10cBhIs

Maiden is the story of how Tracy Edwards, a 24-year-old cook in charter boats, became the skipper of the first ever all-female crew to enter the Whitbread Round the World in 1989. Tracy’s inspirational dream was opposed on all sides: her male competitors thought an all-women crew would never make it, the chauvinistic yachting press took bets on her failure, and potential sponsors rejected her, fearing they would die at sea and generate bad publicity.

But Tracy refused to give up: she remortgaged her home and bought a secondhand boat, putting everything on the line to ensure the team made it to the start line. Although blessed with tremendous self-belief Tracy was also beset by crippling doubts and was only able to make it through with the support of her remarkable crew. With their help she went on to shock the sport world and prove that women are very much the equal of men.
Mental Fairy
Issues: Recently sleep walking increased. History of anxiety depression
preferred pronoun: She

Post by Mental Fairy »

Food: it’s a topic of great explanation.
It’s fuel, it’s heavenly, it’s evil and it’s a driving force of many mental health conditions.

It can enforce control on our lives in such a way it seems like a weapon of mass destruction.
Unhealthy statements online, unreachable and unhealthy goals set into the minds of all person if the ego gets hold of it.
Food can whisper to us from miles away, it screams at us on digestion. The brain uses it as an excuse and also as a drug.

It’s hard to accept the term of being happy in one’s skin. Prior to Crohn’s I used to abuse myself with food. It was my enemy and it was also a desire when the guards were down.

They say love the skin your in, but how can you love yourself if you don’t believe your loveable?
How do we love ourselves?

Acceptance…..

Accept yourself now, and know that if you want to learn to love yourself you need to make changes.
That’s hard I know. Because one addiction feeds another.
It’s a true ego battle, it’s also a battle that can be won.
oak

Post by oak »

manuel_moe_g wrote: June 27th, 2022, 1:03 pm ... I am losing the battle with my weight
We will stick together, Manuel Moe.
snoringdog wrote: June 27th, 2022, 8:09 pm On the subject of sailing, here's a story of a young lass who did things right.
It's a documentary called Maiden, and I can't recommend it enough.
Thank you, SnoringDog! It is in my queue.

I also always find it interesting, like I alluded to in my original post, when cliques try to exclude, in this case gender. I look forward to the day when justice subsumes prejudice. Maybe it is an ongoing victory.
Mental Fairy wrote: June 27th, 2022, 12:10 pm We can’t allow the path behind us to navigate a journey, we also can’t allow our future that’s not lived yet decide our outcome.
Thank you, MentalFairy, for both of your powerful replies. I am moved!

I especially like the quote above. I am going to use it.

Also, thank you for stating that I have a purpose. This is the essence of finding meaning in life. Why not just give up? I hope to use what resources I have, including my mind, to effect the fine challenge before me.

:)
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim

Return to “How Do You Feel Right Now”