Saturdays are stressful. Saturday night is lonely.

Whether it is good or bad, talk about it here.
oak

Saturdays are stressful. Saturday night is lonely.

Post by oak »

Hi friends.

I struggle with anxiety and regret on Saturdays.

Too often, I don't shower/shave/wear clean clothes until the afternoon. Every time this gets me.

Then, Saturday nights are lonely.

I'm ashamed to say this, but here goes:

At 46, I've had girlfriends for a total of 6 months, maybe a year (I am intensely ashamed to say that).

I'd always enjoy taking them out Friday night for dinner. Saturday we'd go do something fun.

It was so natural.

I don't know why I'm saying this. But there it is.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
rivergirl
Issues: Depression, Anxiety

Re: Saturdays are stressful. Saturday night is lonely.

Post by rivergirl »

Hi Oak,

I think our posts must have just crossed.

Clearly you're not alone in struggling with Saturdays. Being alone when you don't want to be and you know that others are with their partners and families can be extremely painful.

Please don't be ashamed about your relationship history. I think it's probably difficult to form relationships (or in my case, to sustain a marriage) when you don't grow up in a healthy family environment.

Sending you warm thoughts and good wishes for some relief this evening.

rivergirl
Mental Fairy
Issues: Recently sleep walking increased. History of anxiety depression
preferred pronoun: She

Post by Mental Fairy »

Oak, I love your honesty. Admire you for that. Do you feel ready to date? If the opportunity occurred would you be your best self?
I ask this as I have seen or read how much progress your making thus far. Maybe a slight change in routine on Saturday might help the mindset shift a little. Even if it’s just a morning walk before a shower? Get the brain to feel a little positive shift before a shower?

Just a thought?
oak

Post by oak »

Thank you both, RiverGirl and Mental Fairy, for not only your encouragement (which I definitely appreciate!) but also for letting me get one of my darkest secrets out.

And not only does such a exposed secret not drive friends away, it demonstrated your care. We're all a little more human.
rivergirl wrote: August 13th, 2022, 2:51 pm Please don't be ashamed about your relationship history. I think it's probably difficult to form relationships (or in my case, to sustain a marriage) when you don't grow up in a healthy family environment.
Thank you for posting, RiverGirl.

I think you are right: at the risk of getting Freudian, I think there are real consequences to having a cold, distant mother. I had all sorts of negative energy, as a tiny baby and little boy, surrounding the feminine. This generational curse gets transmitted.

The unprocessed trauma ends with me.
Mental Fairy wrote: August 13th, 2022, 10:14 pm Do you feel ready to date? If the opportunity occurred would you be your best self?
Thank you for such a profound and searching question as to how I can be my best self. Just asking myself this is scary! But I'll journal about it this week.
Mental Fairy wrote: August 13th, 2022, 10:14 pm Maybe a slight change in routine on Saturday might help the mindset shift a little. Even if it’s just a morning walk before a shower? Get the brain to feel a little positive shift before a shower?
Thank you, also, Mental Fairy, for the above. I have a plan, for the upcoming Saturday to either go to the grocery store or coffeeshop after showering and shaving. I'll post with an update then.

Friends, thanks again for letting me be real here. These are difficult matters.

How I can identify with this brother:

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheWayWeWere/comments/wkuyhu/woodcutter_spending_his_saturday_night_at_a_bar/
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.
preferred pronoun: "Good Boy!"

Post by snoringdog »

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheWayWeWere/comments/wkuyhu/woodcutter_spending_his_saturday_night_at_a_bar/

Kind of a sad picture, but the comment stream is funny!

Have you seen the Cat Herders commercial from years ago?
https://youtu.be/vTwJzTsb2QQ

SD
oak

Post by oak »

Word, SnoringDog.

Friends!

Because I followed your excellent advice, yesterday (Saturday) went well.

I showered, shaved, wore clean clothes, avoided hunger, and timed my Buspar. I felt fine, and even had a moment of happiness/contentment.

You may not be surprised to hear that today, Sunday, decided to kick my butt: I woke up with anxiety and loneliness. I mis-timed my Buspar. I am drinking ice water and holding on.

My life is very lonely.
manuel_moe_g
preferred pronoun: he

Post by manuel_moe_g »

Be strong, law of averages and instant karma will turn things around for you, honor to call you friend and brother
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress
rivergirl

Post by rivergirl »

I'm sorry that old weekend heartache decided to show up on Sunday this time, Oak. Take care of yourself as you start your new week, and remember that you have good friends here.

rg
Mental Fairy
Issues: Recently sleep walking increased. History of anxiety depression
preferred pronoun: She

Post by Mental Fairy »

Oak, my friend, you can have a world of people and still feel lonely. Even if some people are under your roof or under a tent.
You kicked arse on Saturday. The smile that came across my face reading that you made such a change was awesome. Your win was a huge reward for you and others whom know you here.
Sunday rough, that’s ok but not ok. It will happen from time to time. Don’t let it out balance the pros of Saturday.
When you feel that way and your struggling with energy to deal with that lonely feeling what do you think could lighten that feeling? Hobby?? Is there something that could help in the short term?
Is there local things happening that you could attend at no cost? Markets? Something you find interest in?
Writing? You are so dam good at expressing yourself and it’s so well put that maybe you could write to someone? Or yourself? The old school way? Pen pal? Heck I would happily put my hand up for old school pen pals. Art? Photography…..ohh I just had an idea. When you feel lonely or worried like you did on Sunday please go outside and find something interesting to photograph. It can be absolutely anything that’s interesting and post it. If helping you takes even a little bit of that feeling off your mind then it’s worth it. Pet project!
oak

Post by oak »

manuel_moe_g wrote: August 21st, 2022, 3:11 pm Be strong, law of averages and instant karma will turn things around for you, honor to call you friend and brother
Thank you, Manuel Moe! I was hoping things would get less-bad, and they did.

rivergirl wrote: August 21st, 2022, 6:10 pm ... and remember that you have good friends here.
Thank you, RiverGirl. And thank you for being honest about your weekend-struggles: they helped give me space to admit to my own.

Mental Fairy wrote: August 21st, 2022, 10:09 pm You kicked arse on Saturday. The smile that came across my face reading that you made such a change was awesome. Your win was a huge reward for you and others whom know you here.
Thank you, Mental Fairy! This is a big encouragement.
Mental Fairy wrote: August 21st, 2022, 10:09 pm Is there local things happening that you could attend at no cost? Markets? Something you find interest in?
We are thinking alike, Mental Fairy: I had been thinking the same thing. As soon as I saw this suggestion I googled local free/low-cost events, and have put them into my phone's calendar with automatic email reminders.

Larger picture, I'm going to create its own thread with short/mid/long term plans.
Mental Fairy wrote: August 21st, 2022, 10:09 pm When you feel lonely or worried like you did on Sunday please go outside and find something interesting to photograph. It can be absolutely anything that’s interesting and post it. If helping you takes even a little bit of that feeling off your mind then it’s worth it. Pet project!
Yes, Mental Fairy, I will do so, effectively immediately. Can you make any recommendations on how to get photos onto this forum?

Return to “How Do You Feel Right Now”