2023 plans: December bookend.

Whether it is good or bad, talk about it here.
rivergirl
Issues: Depression, Anxiety

Re: 2023 plans: December bookend.

Post by rivergirl »

Well done, Oak! I'm proud of you.

I saw your other post about feeling a bit down. Maybe you're just in need of some rest after your efforts this week? As someone with fairly recent experience with dating a bit later in life (much later for me than for you of course) I can attest to how utterly draining it can be, even if an actual date doesn't occur!

rg
oak

Post by oak »

Word, RiverGirl. So true.

Friends!

I offer a brief, mini-bookend.

1. I've got the broad sweep of my 2023 goals.

2. In the next 48 hours I'll:

a. Review several free Udemy courses on goal-setting, and implement the instructions of the one I deem the best.

b. As a low-stakes little practice, I'll delcutter/clean/set up the Zoom in my apartment's dojang (bare floor) by the time my virtual kettlebell starts Tuesday afternoon.

3. Later in the week, having learned whatever lessons I can from the dojang experience, I will create preliminary plan for January for my big, broad goals.

I'll report back both on Tuesday (was my dojang ready for kettlebell?) and next weekend (do I have a preliminary plan for January for my most important goals?).
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
oak

Post by oak »

Friends!

I have a broad, preliminary plan for 2023.

I know two things:

1. My 2022 goals got me here, alive. Yay!

2. My 2022 goals and habits won’t get me to where I need to be in 2023, much less where I want to be in 2023.

Said more concretely:

I want to be done with working poverty by June 1, 2023.

That is the first of my two one-word goals for 2023: done.

This is over. I’m done.

I’ve lost too many years to working poverty and paycheck-to-paycheck. Done.

If I am diligent in the first quarter of 2023, and a little lucky in the second quarter, then I can be a new man June 1.

I’ve got the broad sweep of how to effect this first goal of “Done”. Let’s see if I, we, can get me there.

Then I can think about the second of two one-word goals in the second half of 2023.
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
oak

Post by oak »

Hi friends.

All's well that ends well:

I have a clear plan for the broad sweep of 2023: professional change (if nothing else), being around feminine energy, stretching more, and status quo of fitness.

I want being paycheck-to-paycheck to be behind me on June 1. Therefore, most of my winter/spring efforts will be in building my professional skills, then effecting a job search in early summer.

I am already off to a splendid start in the first efforts in effecting these goals. I am happier. I can't remember the last time I was this happy.

I have agency: I am not at the receiving end of endless abuse by fools. I am taking my story back.

I am very sorry for my 2022 self: he took so much. He had so little hope. He was mistreated.

It is time for some tough conversations in 2023: I can afford another year like 2022.

I'll keep you all posted. Thanks for listening!
Mental Fairy
Issues: Recently sleep walking increased. History of anxiety depression
preferred pronoun: She

Post by Mental Fairy »

Hi oak,

Just wanted to say I was glad I got to chat with the 2022 Oak. He was going through some rough times as we all were.
That 2022 Oak gave support, guidance, giggles, great music suggestions, cute memes and oh good food ideas. He was learning about himself and discovering how tough and resilient he was.

I personally want to thank the 2022 Oak for being there, being the support for me while in waiting rooms, kitchen cooking and helping me through difficult sleep patterns. He made me expand my knowledge on peppers, kettlebells and helped me understand his own sleep troubles.

He’s also become a topic of conversation from Matt as he asks every week how you are doing.

Look forward to 2023 Oak, whom will still face challenges but with more confidence and courage. Knowing he has a team behind him when and if he needs.

It’s been a pleasure. :animals-duckie: :animals-duckie: :animals-duckie: :animals-duckie: :music-rockout: :-D :-D
oak

Post by oak »

Mental Fairy, thank you for your lovely message and encouragement. I am touched!

I’m also glad I could be of assistance to making your 2022 better, especially with the air fryer and peppers.

I was sad and discouraged today, and your message made me happy.

Also, likewise, if I may offer an example of how your posts help me:

Several times a day, every day, I consider something you mentioned in passing:

You mentioned about, when on a run, breaking it into quarters: where do you want to be at 25%, 50, 75, and a strong finish.

I’ve taken that to heart, breaking down a difficult goal (making it through the day, completing errands) into 3 - 4 acts or movements. It helps me keep my energy/emotions on a current, a flow.

To give a practical example, I didn’t quit my job late last year because, per your excellent example, I considered Nov-Dec 2022 as but the first of three acts, as in a play: if I thought long term in Act 1 (late 2022), my odds of a happy Act 3 (summer 2023) were much higher than if I ran my mouth and spoiled Act 2 (now through late spring).

Just like running too fast in the first quarter of your run will initially get you to true front of the pack, it is not a wise long term to get across the finish line at all, to say nothing of unnecessary tears and shin splints.

I’m not expressing myself clearly, but your running wisdom has given me a larger view of today and tomorrow, and who I can be then.

Thank you.
Mental Fairy
Issues: Recently sleep walking increased. History of anxiety depression
preferred pronoun: She

Post by Mental Fairy »

Having a little weep reading that.

Speaking to a patient today whom was suffering with a passing of a loved one. I had to take a step back and not fully invest all my energy in the situation. I did as Beany suggested and listened and heard her grief. I mentioned nothing of my own. It hurt to hear her but I did say take the days as it comes in sections. The morning might be hard, progress through that and get a walk in, acknowledge the grief. The next part of day will be easier, then when night falls it might creep in again. Allow rest to come.

Your example of your message was just that. Take years, months, days, hours in sections. Just allow and listen to your body. Listen to others and allow.

Oak my friend I admire you.

I will get on my yoga mat and attempt day two of the yoga with Adriene 30 day challenge on you tube!!

Return to “How Do You Feel Right Now”