Bookend: not resign between Dec 14th and Dec 23rd at 5:01 pm.

Whether it is good or bad, talk about it here.
oak

Bookend: not resign between Dec 14th and Dec 23rd at 5:01 pm.

Post by oak »

Hi friends.

Inspired by the thread of our good friend Manuel Moe (https://mentalpodforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=49364#p49364), I present a bookend:

Goal: Don't give my two weeks notice between now and Dec 23. (Not that it isn't tempting.)

Why: While I have a fairly detailed/clear professional and financial plan for through summer 2023, it would be difficult/impossible to conduct much of a job search between Christmas and New Years.

Said another way, if I can wait until January to resign, then I'll start 2023 in a much stronger position, what with the benefits from my current position extending these few weeks.

Main scary day: tomorrow.

I may give bookend 2 of 3 tomorrow night, as I meet with my supervisor Thursdays for the always-fraught weekly supervisions. He has some (justifiable) bones to pick with my performance.

All that said, come January I'll be in better position to simply resign than continue to live like this. But first I have to make it to January!

Edit to add:

I realized six weeks ago that I can’t fix the structural/systemic problems inherent in the position I inherited. Morally I knew then, six weeks ago, that I should have done the honorable thing and offered my resignation then, but I didn’t, and here we are.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Re: Bookend: not resign between Dec 14th and Dec 23rd at 5:01 pm.

Post by manuel_moe_g »

good luck, Friend and Brother
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.
preferred pronoun: "Good Boy!"

Re: Bookend: not resign between Dec 14th and Dec 23rd at 5:01 pm.

Post by snoringdog »

Hello Oak,

Framing it as a "moral obligation" to tender your resignation is a bit too heavy I think.
It just sounds like the job just isn't a good fit, and it's time to move on.

Why add the extra pressure on yourself? It's not like you've been coasting for years or something or taking advantage. Just did and are doing your best....

Return to “How Do You Feel Right Now”