Advice requested: obtuse/opaque dreams: ignore?

Whether it is good or bad, talk about it here.
oak

Advice requested: obtuse/opaque dreams: ignore?

Post by oak »

The dreams
Brief rant
Probably a bad idea, but it is all I have
What to do? Help!

Friends, twice in the last week I had vivid dreams about my undergrad institution, Kent State:

The dreams

Dream 1: I was there, but everyone ignored me.
Dream 2: I had to find graduate housing there, but hadn't done anything.

In the waking/real life, I am on good terms with Kent State. There is nothing actionable in this conscious life.

Brief rant

If we agree that Kent State represents something (learning? growing?), why won't my psyche tell me what I am supposed to learn/grow/do?

Said another way, my psyche is very clear about getting "Kent State" through to me, unambiguously. But it (he?) refuses to tell me what "Kent State" means, and more importantly what to do about it.

Probably a bad idea, but it is all I have

My only idea is to ignore my psyche. However, we know that doing so is an expensive proposition, long term. Something is being brought up, and stuffing it down is not a long-term solution.

What to do? Help!

That is where you come in, my dear friends. What should I do? I'm open to any ideas.

Help!
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Re: Advice requested: obtuse/opaque dreams: ignore?

Post by manuel_moe_g »

Howdy Oak!

First of all, don’t give every dream weight - some of them are from random synapses firing

I find that my waking life is already <screaming> at me with suggestions to change to better my life outcomes, so dreams hardly enter into it

All blessings to you
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress
oak

Re: Advice requested: obtuse/opaque dreams: ignore?

Post by oak »

manuel_moe_g wrote: September 11th, 2023, 1:59 pm I find that my waking life is already <screaming> at me
Manuel Moe, thank you: you intuited the situation: it was my psyche telling me to face my anxieties.

I had five difficult calls to make today, for important issues that I had been putting off. Hence the dreams and tooth grinding (I’m afraid I may have re-injured my root canaled tooth) last week.

All of the calls went especially lovely, and I’ve faced two-thirds of my big anxieties, which is more than I faced last week, which was zero of them.

That said, I’m going to spend an hour on leetcode, watch Monday Night Football, and let everything go since I have tomorrow off, thank heaven.

Thanks for your insight and encouragement!
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim

Return to “How Do You Feel Right Now”