anxiety attacks

Whether it is good or bad, talk about it here.
michena

anxiety attacks

Post by michena »

What is the best anxiety medication that works the fastest? I am about to go to my doctor and ask her to prescribe me some anxiety medication. I have been dealing with anxiety for so long that I can't take it any more. I wanted to know which anxiety medication works the fastest. I don't want to wait months for the medication to kick in.
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Re: anxiety attacks

Post by manuel_moe_g »

No anxiety medication is guaranteed to work immediately. Also, there might be *months* of trying different medications with your doctor to find one that works well for you with the most manageable amount of side effects.

It would be wise to *immediately* and independently of your medication work with a therapist through a course of Dialectical Behavior Therapy, which is your best bet for dealing with very distressing emotional episodes

Here is one example of a Dialectical Behavior Therapy book for anxiety

Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook for Anxiety, Alexander Chapman, Kim Gratz, Matthew Tull, Terence Keane

This part of the forum has links and advice to help you find a good, affordable therapist:

Living With Mental Illness | Help, I don't know where to begin to get well!
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress
next year

Re: anxiety attacks

Post by next year »

I have suffered through daily panic attacks - I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

What worked for me in the short term was taking Klonopin at the onset of an attack, and I would take it before I went to bed at night (when anxiety kicks in, I don't sleep and then it becomes a vicious cycle). While I was taking klonopin I began taking Lexapro (anti depressant). Once that kicked in (usually about a month or so) I weaned off the Klonopin.

Also very important - talk therapy, regular exercise, cut back on the caffeine, sugar and alcohol. I also have to limit my "news intake" when my anxiety is ramped up.

Be good to yourself, and hang in there.

Return to “How Do You Feel Right Now”