Interpersonal problem with someone at work

Whether it is good or bad, talk about it here.
duck1

Interpersonal problem with someone at work

Post by duck1 »

Hi,

I'm really stuck on this one.

I'll try to give enough information without burdening the reader.

My problem is with our bookkeeper. It is not a major- all the time problem, it just comes up once or twice a week or so. I do need to work with her even though I don't like her- I have inquiries and questions and so on (let's call her Sheila).

I'll give some background. I work in a library For a short while last year we had no bookeeper, the one we had got sick, so one of the people in my department was assigned to do her job untill a replacer will come, and me, being a student , was asked to file for this librarian.

Meanwhile, Sheila was recruited as a bookeeper.

When I gave her the files she said "maybe you'd like to contiune filing? what else do you do?" I answered politely that this is not my job, but I am willing to help her start of.

Meanwhile I got a standardized position in the library (not that it has anything to do with bookeeping or not, as a student I was also doing library duties and not bookeeping the filing was just a bandage untill Sheila enetered) .

Another time, I came over to inquire about some invoice (if it was paid or not) and she said, unrelatedly "i would really be happy if you could help me out with filling and help me get some order".

I told her - " I belive I don't have time for this, but you may ask my boss" and Sheila went " no, of course not".

Ok, so the last 2 incidents happened - when I was asked to give her invoices to file ( mind you, to file not "for us" but just that they be saved somewhere).
She was like "didn't you used to file? you do have time don't you? can you file?"

I said soemthing like "yes I used to file. No I don't have time"

The last time I was asked to give her something to file. She was like "hmm.. hmm" (angry)... I ignored her and was heading to the door, and she was like
"where are you going?" I turned back, she said " do you have time?" " I said for what? " she said "for filling" I just really didn't know how to respond,
really didn't know, I am certian there is something smart to say that I am missing from the angle I am at, so I just laughed this fake mean laugh.

I don't like this. I don't mean to be conesending. It is simply procedures, and these are her documents and her responisbilities. My job title does not include supporting the bookeeper.

I don't understand why she continues, I do not ask her for any personal favours or to do my jobs, I feel like she is bullying me because I used to be in a student position.

I am pissed off at this. I do not like her and I don't know how to respond in a classy way to these stupid requests. It triggers my aggression and my impulse to put a border blutntly and coldly, say something like " I am not a bookeeper, this is not my job".

Please advise, I believe there is a blind spot, mind you I do try to be as polite as I can to her.

Thanks
fifthsonata

Re: Interpersonal problem with someone at work

Post by fifthsonata »

Sometimes you need to be frank.

This statement right here is actually appropriate:
"I don't like this. I don't mean to be condescending. It is simply procedures, and these are her documents and her responsibilities. My job title does not include supporting the bookkeeper."
If you don't like that, here's what I would say:
"Shiela, this is your job, and it makes me uncomfortable when you confront me so disrespectfully every time I give you something to file. If you need help or if this is becoming too overwhelming for you, you need to ask your superior for assistance."

Honestly really is the best way to go. You can easily approach this situation respectfully.
duck1

Re: Interpersonal problem with someone at work

Post by duck1 »

thanks!!!!!

Return to “How Do You Feel Right Now”