Angry at a Guest

Whether it is good or bad, talk about it here.
claudine19

Angry at a Guest

Post by claudine19 »

I felt utter disgust when I heard Anna Akana describe starving her bird to death because she was too afraid to ask for money from her parents. Also, she sure didn't sound like she carries much guilt for being the last person her 13 year old sister reached out to before committing suicide. Usually I feel pity and compassion for Paul's guests, but not in this case. I think Anna is exactly what she confessed to being: selfish, self-serving, and overly involved with her own ego.
fifthsonata

Re: Angry at a Guest

Post by fifthsonata »

She was a child when that bird died. While it was a heartbreaking story, her parents did not do their part in ensuring the child has the resources to care for her pet. While children may be capable of caring for an animal, they may not have the cognitive depth needed to understand the consequences of their actions. It's more upsetting that her parents didn't "check up" on the animal to make sure it was healthy, and it's even more upsetting she was afraid to ask for bird food. If she's too scared to ask for something so simple, what does that say about her relationship with her parents?

Otherwise, I mean this with all due respect, it isn't the place of the listener to pass judgement on the amount of emotion or guilt they feel the guest needs to display over the suicide of a family member. Even if we've dealt with something similar, it still is not our place. Emotions are subjective, our reactions are subjective, and we're not in her head in the middle of the night when thoughts of her sister might come bubbling up to the top. I'm sure it happens every night. Her aloof demeanor may be her method of self-preservation.

We all do what we have to do to get through the day.
sliceofpandabread

Re: Angry at a Guest

Post by sliceofpandabread »

I too had a hard time stomaching the death of the bird.

If I may offer this observation: it was really brave of her to share that.

And that's all I've got. Lol

Return to “How Do You Feel Right Now”