First time going to Therapy

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
andrewjoemorris

First time going to Therapy

Post by andrewjoemorris »

So I have found a doctor I'd like to go and see. However I have no idea how to actually do it. To be honest, I"m terrified of the idea of having to go, and being labeled with something potentially for the rest of my life. That being said, I need to go. My quality of life hasn't been at all great lately.

What do I do?
budgie

Re: First time going to Therapy

Post by budgie »

Just show up. That's the first step. I've been to a few therapists, and honestly each one is different in their approach. Just be honest when you go in and let them know that this is your first time in therapy and you aren't sure what to expect. They should take the lead for the first session at least and give you an overview of their therapy style as well as ask questions about your recent thoughts/feelings/what brings you to therapy.

Don't worry too much about being "labeled". I've never received any kind of official "diagnosis" from a therapist (other than what I already knew, which is that I have depression and anxiety problems). It usually takes them a few sessions to even identify what kinds of issues you have that should be addressed. You know there's a problem, or you wouldn't be seeking therapy. A diagnosis just puts a name on it, and doesn't change anything or give you any new problems to deal with.

Oh, and don't get discouraged if this therapist isn't a good fit for you. Sometimes you have to visit a few before you find one that you are comfortable with. It's a pain, because you feel like you're just telling your problems over and over again to new people, but it's worth it to find someone you really click with.
sononothing

Post by sononothing »

I've been going to therapy for close to seven months and I'm still discovering issues about myself. Find your fit and don't get discouraged. Some weeks will work great and others won't. It is a step in the right direction though.
BCZF

Post by BCZF »

Ive been going for 20+ years, and dont think of it as trip to the dentist, something to dread, but its more of a conversation. A good therapist with take the first few sessions to get to know you and draw you out. As you build a relationship he/she will know how to approach your issues. Its getting advice from an unbiased source helping you steer yourself back on track when your mind is probably too clouded with fear, anxiety, etc to steer yourself..
LaiLaiGirl

Post by LaiLaiGirl »

You should commend yourself for even looking in the first place. Seeking help is probably one of the hardest things to do in life.

You shouldn't be concerned with being "labeled." Think of any issues as your foe that you will conquer through therapy. In the end, you will come out the winner. Good luck to you and I hope therapy helps you!
I drink to make other people more interesting. ― Ernest Hemingway
Visit My Blog and leave me *your* two cents: www.lailaigirl.com

Return to “Do other people feel like you do?”