Mind Body and Trauma

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
Mental Fairy
Issues: Recently sleep walking increased. History of anxiety depression
preferred pronoun: She

Re: Mind Body and Trauma

Post by Mental Fairy »

Morning Team

Thank you both kindly for responses.

Back tracking a little bit SD, yes i am a fast typist. I do medical typing and dictation on the side for the surgeons when they are stuck for letter formulation in consults. The one thing i have never checked is my word count. I would had it a guess, it is a lot!

The picture idea is a good one. I know they will not reciprocate as that's just the way they are. I will give it a go however regardless.

I think the hurt feelings at Joes response is more because of his lack of understanding. It is a rare event for us to really talk about things in depth. When it does happen he walks away more confused than ever!

The sleep spreadsheet is also a fantastic idea as data is something i am keenly interested in. When i was reading over your reply i became a little internally excited at the thought as many days one dream can stick with me. Images keep coming back to me as they are this morning from lasts nights eyelid movie session.

I found yesterday afternoon rather interesting as i took Joes grandpa to the hospital for his appointments for his heart. This is a man whom spent a big portion of his life as a pro boxing coach after retiring as a boxer. He later went on to own and run his own roading company and build many of the roads around the country back in the day!
Anywho...grandpa is very frail but his heart is strong. His years of fitness have paid off for him and it is his previous years of training that has got him this far in life.
The cardiologist that saw him was so interesting we ended up talking for around an hour about his home country. He works as a surgeon and has pending retirement later this year. He was so nice to talk too. We got to the tail end of the conversation and he asked what keeps me strong with my own health and looking after my patients. I informed him i have a forum of support, i have my remaining small family and i have comfort in knowing i have support from people i have never come to met as yet. I gave him my card and said if there is anything i can help him with in regards to him terrible typing skills and paperwork i would be happy to help. He shocked me by saying i was the first person to ask him how he was, how he was coping under the given pressure of the medical system. He said no one asks if he is ok, that struck me a little. Sure enough in my inbox this morning was a little note saying, 'thank you for asking'.

It just takes one question to move some mountains.....How are you? Powerful.

I spent yesterday evening planting out a new area of my garden and feeling like it is almost complete. I will get onto a sleep spreadsheet as this will be deeply interesting. Last night apparently i spent 19 minutes looking for my fathers wallet and trying to fix a leather belt. Matt put me back to bed. I am rather combative at times in lucid dreaming so he picks him moments to guide me back! poor kid!

Thank you all for the week that's almost ended. Was a rocky start but making progress.
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.
preferred pronoun: "Good Boy!"

Post by snoringdog »

Back tracking a little bit SD, yes i am a fast typist. I do medical typing and dictation on the side for the surgeons when they are stuck for letter formulation in consults. The one thing i have never checked is my word count. If I'd would hazard guess, it is a lot
Side bar - a little test for you - ;)
Years ago my wife and her friend did medical transcription, typing out op reports from doctors who didn't enunciate clearly, or for whom English was a second language.

Here are a few things they thought they heard on the tapes. Can you guess?

"Anti-Buttock Beads"
"Baloney Amputation"
"Fireballs of the Eucharist"
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.

Post by snoringdog »

The picture idea is a good one. I know they will not reciprocate as that's just the way they are.
Doesn’t really matter. Maybe it’ll help you a bit, and you never know…
The sleep spreadsheet is also a fantastic idea as data is something i am keenly interested in.
This article just popped up the other day. Interesting notes about investigations of dreaming. (They’ve only known about REM sleep since the 50’s.)

Michel Jouvet, Who Unlocked REM Sleep’s Secrets, Dies at 91 - The New York Times

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/11/obituaries/michel-jouvet-who-unlocked-rem-sleeps-secrets-dies-at-91.html
I am rather combative at times in lucid dreaming so he picks him moments to guide me back! poor kid!
I’ve read about this. You’re obviously “in another world” and I wonder if there’s a way to gently communicate without confusing you and getting this response.
I have no idea what I’m talking about, but some pre-determined phrases implanted during an hypnosis session?

And is there any rhyme or reason to the nocturnal activities? Things you meant to do during the day, but didn’t, etc?
I informed him i have a forum of support,

He shocked me by saying i was the first person to ask him how he was, how he was coping under the given pressure of the medical system. He said no one asks if he is ok, that struck me a little.
Yes, this is so important, and you discussed the lack of support when you and your boss lost that poor woman a few months ago.

Have you spoken with her about it since then?

And there was some kind of trauma-support symposium that was being arranged in NZ if I remember...
Mental Fairy

Post by Mental Fairy »

Hi SD

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Not sure if I have informed you all but I did attend two sometimes three sessions a week doing hypnosis when I was at my worst in 2015.
I actually good a lot out of it. I still to think day use it and the tools I was taught to get me through hard days. I can still see in my minds eye the locations I was at during hypnosis as well as found and touch. Right down to feeling of sand and touch of grass. Matt also used it during exams. Helped with his pre exam panic and sleep.

Some people knock it and I am pro hypnosis for many reasons.

My sleep states are currently very detailed my REM sleep is sitting at 14% a night. However I seem to on the move when more stressed.
Matt has got rather good and turning me back and other times he just has to walk away and he’s laughing so much he was worried he Will frighten me.
I want to look further into how it is this lucid dreaming can affect me while in a woken state. There will be moments after I wake up and memory with be fresh. Then say around late afternoon I’m doing ok and then a sudden flashback from the night before or many nights before. Prior to sleep last night I was just going off to sleep and I apparently screamed and pointed and said something is crawling along the ceiling and laid back down and went silent. I recall nothing of it, then in the afternoon the memory will relive it suddenly.

I never had this when I was young. This only really has become this bad maybe in the past 15 maybe 18 years.
There is a possibility it is my medication, I have not got the option of stopping it either. So I may as well provide entertainment for all while I’m asleep!

The sleep spreadsheet is my next mission. A lot of what I dream seems to be linked in many ways to the internal battles, past, present or future.

The help medical teams have is there yes, but many people mainly doctors refuse it. They rely on peers and internal connections.
When you wrote about the patient we lost I had to think for a moment which one. There has been so many but that one you mentioned I have somehow managed to push into a memory bank that only opens when I see a lot of blood.

Just yesterday a patient has had a 24+ week pregnancy fail and we have to remove the baby next week. Baby has heart failure. I cried when I saw the results and also felt a duty of care to support immediately. Get systems in place for her and husband, make sure therapists in place and paperwork’s ready. We come last. If at all.

I love my work, I can’t imagine life without it. However I can’t carry on if I don’t put my own care in place more. That’s my 2023 task.
oak

Post by oak »

Mental Fairy, thank you for sharing.

I’m glad hypnosis continues to work for you, and that you are considering new methods of tracking your sleep.

And, as someone who is facing difficult truths this year himself, I encourage you to listen to your heart about what you can handle at work in 2023.

Frankly, both of us appear to be in emotionally-unsustainable situations at work, long term. We work for good people, yet the environment… yikes.

Lastly, here is photographic evidence of how we stand by you in this thread, with you clearly visible in the bottom half of the photo:

https://www.reddit.com/r/aww/comments/10g8bj7/help/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
Mental Fairy

Post by Mental Fairy »

Ohhhh I love that link. Thank you.
Mental Fairy

Post by Mental Fairy »

https://i.stuff.co.nz/life-style/131009252/a-painfully-beautiful-thing-ill-never-do-again
snoringdog

Post by snoringdog »

Beautiful. Have you done it?

Many years ago, I climbed Mt. Fuji and slept overnight at the top.
Its 3776 meters, but we started from the "5th station" like most people do. (I think it might be a bit less of an incline than this one too).
according to someone from a brigade of young Indians in sweatpants and sneakers with loud music,

I'll never understand people. If there isn't noise, it's not authentic.
"Hey you kids - Get offa the lawn! :lol: "
I quickly avoided the family of Americans having plump opinions about mountaineering world records

Good move. Loud bloviations are almost as obnoxious as the music. I apologize for my countrymen. :roll:
snoringdog

Post by snoringdog »

You may have missed this, and sorry if I'm a bore :oops:

"Anti-Buttock Beads" - Antibiotics
"Baloney Amputation" - Below the knee amputation
"Fireballs of the Eucharist" - Fibroid Uterus
;)
snoringdog

Post by snoringdog »

Last night apparently i spent 19 minutes looking for my father's wallet and trying to fix a leather belt.
Jumping around a bit, sorry.

This is so interesting.

What's with the belt? Did it need fixing? HAs it been on your to-do list, or was this just randomly conjured up in your semi-conscious state?

Return to “PTSD”