PTSD to Schizoid

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
Justin

PTSD to Schizoid

Post by Justin »

I was diagnosed with PTSD after participating in the invasion of Iraq during Operation Iraqi Freedom in 2003. It lasted about two years and I mostly handled my symptoms myself without therapy, except in the very beginning, and no medication. As a child I was very aggressive and got into physical fights frequently, but by the time I felt that my PTSD symptoms were clearing up I was a self-declared pacifist in the US Army. I have since become very mellow, even scared to engage people in any way that might be argumentative. I often catch myself frowning and generally grey feeling, though I do sometimes laugh and I try to seek out things I enjoy. For instance, I love going to the beach and swimming, but then when I am there inside I am asking myself "What am I doing here?".

So I am thinking that since I did not get professional treatment for PTSD I have become schizophrenic. Once when I tried to describe this to a medical doctor I was told that these types of changes in "feelings" just happen with age and that the PTSD was probably a good thing since it made me less aggressive. But I am not just less aggressive, I'm pretty much docile, grey, and unfeeling. I want to enjoy the world but I feel like I can't any more than I do now.
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Re: PTSD to Schizoid

Post by manuel_moe_g »

Hello Justin, welcome to our little forum! :D I cannot wait to read your written contributions to the threads here!

I would recommend professional treatment, no matter the diagnosis.
Justin wrote:I'm pretty much docile, grey, and unfeeling. I want to enjoy the world but I feel like I can't any more than I do now.
You deserve better than this.

Copypasta follows!

___.oOo.______.oOo.______.oOo.______.oOo.______.oOo.______.oOo.______.oOo.___

United States website to find sliding scale "low/no" cost mental health services. Also information on medication assistance: NeedyMeds - Free/Low-Cost/Sliding-Scale Clinics U.S. Database

Discussion of low and no cost therapy resources, even in usually under-served areas: Maria Bamford podcast, Episode 95, Jan 04 2013 at minute 6:00.

If you think you might need this resource, then you definitely need this resource - please check out the Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network - RAINN at RAINN.org

Google searches for low and no cost therapy resources, even in usually under-served areas: your town or county + one of these terms:
  • low cost counselling service
  • sliding scale counselling service
  • CMHC
  • community mental health
  • community service board office
From this MentalPod board - some places to get help for people with limited resources:
Here is a post and thread on Reddit about getting medication at low or no cost: Community Assistance Program, accepted at Target pharmacy and many other pharmacies
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress
Awkwardly Fostered

Re: PTSD to Schizoid

Post by Awkwardly Fostered »

I have had to use my county community resources in the past and it was about $3 for a doctor appointment. They referred me to a pharmacy that I only had to pay $6 for my prescription and I was allowed to get 3 months of free crisis counseling for myself and my daughter because we needed it. The first time I ever went to therapy I was able to get free therapy for a while through a church. I went once a week and just spoke about whatever was on my mind. It was nice to be listened to.

Return to “PTSD”