Working with PTSD

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
SorryNotSorry

Working with PTSD

Post by SorryNotSorry »

Hello All,

After years of chaos, confusion, and misdiagnosis' (misdiagnoses, misdiagnosis' ?) I was given the diagnosis of Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder about 3 months ago and it seems to really fit. Because it isn't currently included in the DSM, I publicly identify as having a "Traumatic Stress Disorder Not Otherwise Specified." I'm still working on noticing and identifying my triggers. I go to a low cost clinic once a week with a graduate internist who specializes in trauma, went through DBT therapy x2, took a low cost art therapy course, am looking for a support group (though, between you and me, I worry that those diagnosed with PTSD won't accept me), basically I feel like I'm doing all I can with the little I have.

Anyway, my funds are getting low and I feel more and more conflicted about accepting money from my parents as relive and begin to understand some of the controlling behaviors they used on me. So, after about two years away, suffering and then getting help with my mental stuff, I need to tip my toes back into the working world. My basic plan is to finish the Technical Writing Certification that got interrupted by my depression, start volunteering in order to raise my self esteem and get more references to replace old/out of date references, and find a part time job where I can work between 10-20 hours a week.

So PTSDers, I'd love to know your experiences with to going back to/applying for work with PTSD, working with PTSD, ect.
EXAMPLES:
What type of work has been a good fit for you? What type of atmosphere has been helpful towards being productive? Type of work? How have you learned to manage or cope with your triggers at work? Any PTSD related issues working with your boss, customers, coworkers? Have you found solace working alone? Have you had to find balance or discipline? What industry have you found healthy success in? ECT, ECT. ECT.

Any thoughts, insights, experience, would be greatly appreciated!

Namaste, Ya'll!
Awkwardly Fostered

Re: Working with PTSD

Post by Awkwardly Fostered »

I was diagnosed with Chronic PTSD over 10 years ago. I could not remember anything before the age of about 14. I was told I would never recover and this made me furious (I hate it when people tell me I can't do something) so I worked really hard to remember and get help. I have been a single mom for many years. I have been distracted enough by the fact that I have had to care-take so I've had to work all these years. I've been able to get a couple of degrees by accident - I've had a low GPA because for a while life was so triggering that I could barely cope - somehow I managed. I stayed in therapy the whole way through all of the accomplishments I've had. I've spent much money on therapy and every cent has been worth it. I've still got a ways to go - but I will get there. I've come a long way. Don't despair. You will get there.

Jobs that I would suggest are any jobs that are simple task oriented, if you have issues with interacting with people like I have, I would suggest waiting a while before you try jobs like that - although - that might help you if it is a positive environment. My favorite jobs are those with which I am highly distracted by tasks - I like to move around. I serve others and I do it with joy - provided I am taking medication. YOU ARE NOT ALONE. Keep us all informed of your progress!

"PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION"

Return to “PTSD”