Do Pets count?

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.
preferred pronoun: "Good Boy!"

Do Pets count?

Post by snoringdog »

This thread is as good as any for this, I guess.

So I finally got up the nerve to post to the Loves survey in early May about my namesake, and how interacting with her makes me smile (Her name is Chloe).

For weeks afterwards, I actually had twinges of anxiety and shame when Paul would read the surveys! Will he read it? Will he like it? What a self-indulgent ass I was to post!

So, it finally appears in the 489 May29 episode with Dr. Esther Park at the 58:30 mark.

OMG - He likes it! What a relief! But my face is burning...I don't think I'll ever do that again.. (Is this pathetic, or what? WTF!?)

And wouldn't you know within a week, Chloe totally changed - she could barely move, couldn't hold anything down and didn't want to eat much anyway. A real shock, it was so sudden.

Turns out she may have a form of pancreatic cancer, and therefore low blood sugar. Stabilized somewhat, but not the happy little creature she used to be.

Walks are extremely slow, and can be excruciating, especially when I'm anxious. And my frustration turns to guilt when I get impatient with her.

So, all this is very minor seeing what others are struggling with, but what the hell, there it is...

Snoringdog
brownblob
Issues: depression and anxiety
preferred pronoun: whatshisname

Re: Do Pets count?

Post by brownblob »

Pets count. I have an aging cat and any time he is not feeling well I worry that we are nearing the end. My dog passed 5 years ago and I still think about him. I cried a lot when we had to put him down. They may not be human, but they bring so much love into a home.
I don't like people much and they don't much like me. -A Beautiful Mind
I'm Homesick for a home I never had.--Soul Asylum "Homesick"
Heatherwantspeace
preferred pronoun: she

Post by Heatherwantspeace »

SD, this is not minor at all! Pets are important parts of our lives. They give us unconditional love and constant companionship.
Take care and give Chloe skritches for me.
Heather
rivergirl
Issues: Depression, Anxiety

Post by rivergirl »

Hey snoringdog,

I agree with brownblob and Heather that pets definitely count as loved ones. Somehow the cat I lost several years ago hurts almost more than losing humans, including my sister. I'm not sure why that is, but maybe part of it is that pets are childlike in some ways in their dependence on us, so we also feel like we want to protect them and feel responsible if they suffer.

I hope you can forgive yourself for impatience and frustration. I think every caregiver feels that way at times (whether caring for a person or an animal).

I'm sorry about Chloe's illness and hope she still has some better days ahead. You seem like you care for her a great deal and even if you get impatient at times, I'm sure she's lucky to be with you.

rg
Heatherwantspeace

Hey SD, just want to post that it's great to hear from you and we would love to hear any Chloe stories you want to share.
No story too small!
Heather
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.

Post by snoringdog »

Hello Heather,
She's from a shelter, and we think she's a mix of chihuahua and shiba-inu. Never barks, and is a bit aloof and cat-like. (Responsive, but never played ball, and not a real snuggler)

A year ago during the summer we were in the Adirondaks and she was sitting in the grass. When we looked over, we were surprised to see her eating one of those large green grasshoppers that had hopped within range!

"Just when you think they're little human beings, they go and do something real doggy!" :shock: :lol:
Heatherwantspeace

Ah, she gets her classic good looks from the Shiba side!
Mmm...crunchy snack!
snoringdog

Post by snoringdog »

With the pancreatic and digestive involvement, her appetite and tastes have changed.....hard to keep up, but it doesn't help that we've spoiled her rotten...

(She'll eat shit-off-the-street, but not always what we put in front of her sometimes.. :lol: )
oak

Post by oak »

I am glad to hear you are continuing to take action, and can appreciate the small ironies, during these difficult time. Hang in there and keep us posted.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
TonyM_Guest
Issues: Anxiety, Depression, Emotional Neglect, Pure-O, Covert Incest
preferred pronoun: he/him/his

Post by TonyM_Guest »

Hi SD - absolutely pets count. I honestly think I am still grieving a cat of mine that died in January 2016 without me being able to properly mourn and say goodbye. So, please be gentle with yourself as this sounds like it is really difficult for you.

Return to “Living with an Ill Loved One”