Left Hand Cuts off the Right (exp music/drone)

If you feel like showing your art or an expression of who you are, do it here.
void87
Issues: depression and anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Left Hand Cuts off the Right (exp music/drone)

Post by void87 »

Hi all,

I make odd music under the moniker Left Hand Cuts off the Right. I often use my music as therapy and as a means to explore of the issues I've had over the years. I've also spoken about mental health issues and music in several interviews. Here's one of them - http://www.attnmagazine.co.uk/features/10822

Here's an earlier release from this year that came out of a process of creating music during difficult times and as a response to those difficult times - https://lefthandcutsofftheright.bandcam ... axing-body

Press nonsense if you're interested -
Axing Body is a series of compositions for electric piano, objects and effects. The album is part of a continuing process of creating sound as therapy and a distraction for coping with mental health issues such as depression and anxiety. The works aren’t representations of those conditions; but works created in reflective and confusing moments.

The titles are from images and phrases that have recurred during particularly painful experiences with depression and anxiety. These have been from words spoken, read and heard as well as images conjured during low moods.

Released by Box Records

"Just north of half an hour and with a tempo rarely rising much above ‘inert’, Judkins’ piano parts sit centrally in the mix, chords seeping into one another with the help of a very natural-sounding room tone. ‘Void Of Heaven’ fades into the title track, unidentifiable buzzes and creaks giving way to the gaunt timbre of what might be a viola. The heartbeat of ‘Craved’ is electronic, if irregular – remember when Burial was ‘nightbus’ music? This is for the passengers who never alighted and got locked in the depot – and ‘Lead Cloud’ turns out to be a most fitting title for eight minutes of skin-prickle drone and sublow shudder. Conceived, it says here, as a kind of sonic therapy in the interests of Judkins’ own self-care, Axing Body is a deeply affecting release even before one becomes aware of this background info."

Noel Gardner, The Quietus
void87

Re: Left Hand Cuts off the Right (exp music/drone)

Post by void87 »

sorry if this spam and I understand if it gets deleted I just thought it might be relevant
HowDidIGetHere
Issues: Bipolar II, Borderline/Avoidant Personality Disorder, child abuse/neglect

Post by HowDidIGetHere »

I've taken to using ambient electronica for working music lately, so I will definitely be checking this out. :)

(I sure hope this isn't spam, since it's pretty much exactly what the forum advertises itself to be -- expressing your creativity. Thanks for sharing.)
'The field “Issues” is too long, a maximum of 80 characters is allowed.' Wow. Totally outed by a message board.

WTF Just Happened?—a new web magazine on coming out as mentally ill.
void87

Post by void87 »

Thank you! Hope you enjoy it.

Ambient and drone music has brought me a lot of solace over the years. Especially Eliane Radigue. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtB3bFQ0u_0
smalldarkcloud
Issues: depression, shyness, social anxiety, possibly borderline

Post by smalldarkcloud »

I listened to one of your records on Spotify, Goma (the only one they have, I think). I really enjoyed it. Thank you.
void87

Post by void87 »

Dear smalldarkcloud, thank you.

I also have had a new album out recently that may interest some members of this forum.

https://lefthandcutsofftheright.bandcam ... ired-place

Left Hand Cuts off the Right - Desired Place

Desired Place was created using electric piano, loops and effects after an attempted suicide in 2014. It focuses on a dark period of my life; yet allows for a feeling of calm, hope and optimism.

Minimal tone clusters were chosen and expanded for four individual parts that were looped and mixed live. Creating simple, repetitive and focused sound works was a welcome distraction from destructive and spiralling thought patterns at the time.

Desired Place was both a negative and positive space I wanted to be in during this period. The album is part of a continuing process of creating sound as therapy and a distraction for coping with mental health issues such as depression and anxiety.

Influenced by - Eliane Radigue, Robert Turman, Earth, Bohren & de Club of Gore, Erik Satie, Songs:Ohia and more.

Return to “Express Your Creativity”