How do you handle the hopelessness?

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
Geek

How do you handle the hopelessness?

Post by Geek »

Hi everyone,

How do you cope with depression & hopelessness?
Leebeeboo

Re: How do you handle the hopelessness?

Post by Leebeeboo »

I keep breathing, and remind myself that one day I won't feel this way. It's the best I can do, and is very hokey. It gets harder every day, because it's been three damned years since I was happy. I tell myself that one day, waking up won't be such a chore, and one day, I might actually find something to look forward to. One day I might not feel like I'm going through the motions simply to not to attract attention to myself, and keep up the facade of normal.
Geek

Post by Geek »

I know what you mean...I'd like to make it a whole day where I don't want to crawl into bed every waking moment. It will get better, just wish I knew when.
oak

Post by oak »

Geek!

I am not sure that I have any advice or insight, but I am glad that you posted this. I honor you in your struggle.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
weary

Post by weary »

What Leebeeboo said.

Also, as much as I hate them and I feel stupid when I do them, things like affirmations and cognitive behavioral exercises do help. Even when certain situations feel bleak and hopeless, there are some things, somewhere in your life, that you can find gratitude for and happiness in (however small or fleeting), and forcing yourself to get in the habit of acknowledging those things and writing them down can help hold the hopelessness at bay sometimes. Try the love-off thread if you haven't. Also, if you're not familiar with CBT, a book like Feeling Good by Burns or Mind over Mood by Padesky have exercises that can help you try to identify distorted thoughts, where you are for example, making negative generalizations about a situation or what it means.

Is hard, man. It's really hard. Even knowing that those things have helped me sometimes, I feel a little like a hypocrite giving that advice, because I'm not using them all that effectively myself right now. Thanks for starting this thread - it is making me want to do a better job combating my own hopelessness.
Geek

Post by Geek »

Thanks for the suggestions...you guys are awesome!
gerunding

Post by gerunding »

I distract myself, and because I often do super melodramatic things like listen to The Smiths for hours and realize how silly I look and laugh at myself.
Something I do when I am not low is I make lists of things that I enjoy when I am in an even place.

Biking, for me, helps. Painting, walking until my feet are sore and then taking the train home, breathing breathing breathing, and talking to a friend about something not related to myself helps.
The natural high of endorphins can help get me through a few hours, which can make that day seem less long.

Sometimes being out of your house and room can be enough.

Return to “Depression - BiPolar”