navigating discussions of suicidality

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
gerunding

navigating discussions of suicidality

Post by gerunding »

How do y'all have the conversation about the difference between feeling suicidal and having a plan with people who have never experienced that level of depression?

I am feeling nervous about starting that conversation with someone who is relatively even the majority of the time. Mostly, I hope they understand that feeling suicidal is not necessarily a death wish; it can be a chance to see that something needs to change.
I'm also worried they will call EMS.
Tips? Thoughts?
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Re: navigating discussions of suicidality

Post by manuel_moe_g »

This forum may not be the appropriate place for this discussion. I am sure the intentions are all for the best, but have to err on the side of caution.

___.oOo.______.oOo.______.oOo.______.oOo.______.oOo.______.oOo.______.oOo.___

United States website to find sliding scale "low/no" cost mental health services. Also information on medication assistance: NeedyMeds - Free/Low-Cost/Sliding-Scale Clinics U.S. Database

Discussion of low and no cost therapy resources, even in usually under-served areas: Maria Bamford podcast, Episode 95, Jan 04 2013 at minute 6:00.

If you think you might need this resource, then you definitely need this resource - please check out the Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network - RAINN at RAINN.org

Google searches for low and no cost therapy resources, even in usually under-served areas: your town or county + one of these terms:
  • low cost counselling service
  • sliding scale counselling service
  • CMHC
  • community mental health
  • community service board office
From this MentalPod board - some places to get help for people with limited resources:
Here is a post and thread on Reddit about getting medication at low or no cost: Community Assistance Program, accepted at Target pharmacy and many other pharmacies
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress
oak

Re: navigating discussions of suicidality

Post by oak »

Gosh, I can't offer any advice, but I am glad you used you your voice and posted here.

Hugs.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim

Return to “Depression - BiPolar”