Telling your family you are bipolar

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
lattejunkie

Telling your family you are bipolar

Post by lattejunkie »

So my new therapist is fairly certain I have type II bipolar disorder. I know this can carry a stigma so I have no intention of telling my employer or co-workers.
I of course, told my husband and he was not surprised at all :?
I did email my sister and tell her because she had asked that I let her know how the new therapist is going and she knows I've been struggling lately.
My question is more about telling my parents. My mother is a worrier. I told her I was going back to therapy but I'm afraid to tell her I'm bipolar. Her brother was bipolar and he drank and drugged himself to death by his early 40s. I guess my question is... do I need to tell my mom and dad because they are my parents or should I just let them know therapy is going well and I'm going to have a medication change soon? Thanks.
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Re: Telling your family you are bipolar

Post by manuel_moe_g »

lattejunkie wrote:or should I just let them know therapy is going well and I'm going to have a medication change soon?
If your mom is a worrier, then your instinct to wait to tell your parents seems like a good one

please take care, all the best, cheers!
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress
lattejunkie

Post by lattejunkie »

Thank you, Manuel
lattejunkie

Post by lattejunkie »

Update: I did end up telling my parents and since then my mom has been checking in on me, which she never does. It's not a nosey way or anything, just dropping a text here or there asking how I am or how my meds are working. It's kind of nice.
meh
Issues: Bipolar, depression, general all around ick
preferred pronoun: That

Post by meh »

I'm glad to hear your Mom seems to be trying to be helpful. That's a big deal.

My mother is a belittler - she belittles everything. So I have no intention of ever telling her. We really don't have much of a relationship anyway.

The people I tell are those who need to know and those who can deal with the knowledge in a constructive way. Everyone else can MYOB.
"Of course you have an active inner life, you're bipolar"
my therapist.
lattejunkie

Post by lattejunkie »

Sorry to hear that about your mom. I feel like I should tell everyone but I haven't. I've only told close family.
Delirium

Post by Delirium »

I just recently did this via email with my parents, along with a vent about some of the issues I've had with them.

There were years of depression until finally being dianosed with BPII and starting medication. I had some very big hesitations with telling my folks because in my family you just don't discuss such things. It's been a few months. They seemed surprised I think and taken back that I had excluded them from this part of my life for so long. My mom seemed to almost pity me. Maybe that's not the right word but she said she was sorry for me.

Anyways, for a week or so they asked me about it. Hasn't been brought up since (by either them or me).
richardc

Post by richardc »

It takes a ton of courage to do what you did, Delirium. Very proud of you for doing that. If they choose to not acknowledge that, that's their thing, not yours.

Return to “Depression - BiPolar”