Electro shock therapy

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
abbysmom21299

Electro shock therapy

Post by abbysmom21299 »

Just wondering if anyone has tried electro shock therapy and if you have had any positive results?
Starguts

Re: Electro shock therapy

Post by Starguts »

I've had it several times. The first time it was suggested, I was at the end of my rope and no meds were helping in getting me out of it. It was, as is often the case, a treatment of last resort. Needless to say, I saw a marked improvement in my being in a much shorter time than any medication could have done. I never regret that decision and feel that without it, my life may not have continued for much longer. I've since had more treatments when hospitalized and found that they have always worked the way that there supposed to. I would caution you about a few things however. Relapse can occur and in me I crashed into a depression about 6 months after finishing treatments. It wasn't nearly as bad as the one before, just something to be on top of. I experienced some mild headaches after as well as short term memory loss. These are both temporary. ECT has come a long way even in the period since my first treatment in 2000. It's certainly not for everybody, but it can make a world of difference for some.

Return to “Depression - BiPolar”