when you don't fit the textbook example of BPD?

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
Golden_Tongue

Re: when you don't fit the textbook example of BPD?

Post by Golden_Tongue »

I can relate to what you're going through, I've asked myself and my therapists the same questions regarding my diagnosis and the effectivity of DBT. It is a frustrating type of therapy for anyone,I questioned a lot the therapeutic process too, not letting my big ego give in to all too simplistic mindfullness techniques/tools, shaking my head at the hippie concept of "radical acceptance." But I think, even the therapists realise that everything is not going to work for everyone and just sharing your struggle every week with others who feel the same way helps all mentally ill people feel better. You dont need to embrace all aspects of DBT, just trust your therapist, be honest about your doubts to her/him, maybe you have several comorbid illnesses or need to try another type of therapy? DBT was really hard for me, I had to quit because I didn't show up for group enough times, part of me felt like it was a waste of time, that the others didn't "get me" and my therapist found me annoying, but I see now that I should have just hung in there! Keep showing up to group and your individual sessions until you have organised a safety net for yourself! There are other types of thérapies, like mentalisation based therapy, available for people like us! Take care
"Depression is the flaw in love." Andrew Solomon
"Nothing is mysterious, no human emotion. Except love." Susan Sontag
"It is a level of psychic pain wholly incompatible with human life as we know it." David Foster Wallace
fifthsonata

Post by fifthsonata »

Unfortunately I'm not in any form of treatment. My experience in DBT has been limited. I understood the need for some of the "mindfulness" things but it was never a match for what was flowing in my head.

Anyway, thank you.
AlmostWell

Post by AlmostWell »

Do you have a history of trauma? Often people with significant trauma can appear Borderline-ish without some of the key symptoms (fear of abandonment, as you say).

Return to “Borderline Personality Disorder/Emotional Disregulation Disorder”