Is my boyfriend ignorant or manipulative?

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
Cacaoho3
Issues: Depression, anxiety, trauma
preferred pronoun: She

Is my boyfriend ignorant or manipulative?

Post by Cacaoho3 »

I've been struggling with depression and anxiety for years now. I just started seeing a new therapist this week that I'm unsure of. It seems like my depression has been getting worse lately so it's been very difficult for me.
I've been with my boyfriend for almost a year now. His upbringing has been very smooth for him so it's hard for him to understand sometimes. I've been much more distant towards him lately because it's hard to tell him difficult issues I am dealing with. He never says much about it other than "I'm sorry." He does this thing sometimes that absolutely drives me crazy. Sometimes I'll tell him how down I feel or how much I'm struggling and he'll make it about how other people see me. He told me today that if I feel like this, then other people will see me like this. He said people always think I'm down. It's really hard for me to hear him say that. It feels like he's guilt tripping me in a way. It makes me feel like my mental health is just an inconvenience to him and he's just worried about what other people think of me, instead of the progress I'm trying to make. Am I crazy for thinking this? What do you guys think?
Thanks
Cacaoho3

Re: Is my boyfriend ignorant or manipulative?

Post by Cacaoho3 »

Update: I confronted him about it and asked him how he'd feel if I did that to him and he apologized and said that he "gets stressed out and fucks up sometimes."
bigeekgirl
Issues: depression/anxiety. co-dependence, disordered eating/using food to cope
preferred pronoun: she

Post by bigeekgirl »

Cacaoho - I am sorry you are going through this.
It is hard to tell if your boyfriend is being ignorant or manipulative. Only he really knows for sure what his motivation for saving such terribly insensitive things. It's not up to you to determine his reasons or where this is coming from, only to be truthful with him about how his statements impact you. Perhaps he is trying to be helpful from a true place of not understanding what depression is like (I've got so much envy for that) or perhaps it's something darker. Either way, or something in between, what matters is having a relationship where you can share your feelings and the person you are with is willing to listen and change.
If it was me, I would likely ask for guidance from my therapist for the best method to bring it up.
Cacaoho3

Post by Cacaoho3 »

Thank you bigeekgirl. I'm not sure where it is coming from. He did have a relationship with someone who was mentally ill previously and from what he has told me, it was very toxic. I think he's overwhelmed by it, but I don't think it's very fair to me. I will try to get some help through my therapist.
bigeekgirl
Issues: depression/anxiety. co-dependence, disordered eating/using food to cope
preferred pronoun: she

Post by bigeekgirl »

It was very brave of you to speak up about it. I saw your second post only after I had posted.
My thoughts, for what it's worth, are that your willingness to communicate and his willingness to admit what he did was wrong bodes well for the future.
Good luck, friend.

Return to “Depression - Unipolar (non BiPolar)”