PMS should be taken seriously

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
Ellieoncé
Issues: Depression, anxiety, self harm, disordered eating
preferred pronoun: she/her

PMS should be taken seriously

Post by Ellieoncé »

I am sick of having a breakdown once a month just before I get my period! I get to the point where I feel suicidal and often end up self-harming and generally feel like my life is falling apart.... a week later I get my period and it all makes sense. I wish these mood swings were taken seriously because I feel like when I say it's PMS people picture the typical woman being a bit cranky whereas for a lot of people it can really make their depression, anxiety etc a lot worse. Your hormones can really fuck u up and I wish I didn't feel like killing myself every 3 or so weeks :cry:
Does anyone else have these extreme lows when their period is coming up ?
What would Beyoncé do
fifthsonata

Re: PMS should be taken seriously

Post by fifthsonata »

That sounds like PMDD. Have you spoken to a doctor about it?
Millibee
Issues: PTSD, bulimia, depression, anxiety, OCD, self injury, suicidal ideation, DD-NOS.
preferred pronoun: They/them

Post by Millibee »

I have those same serious lows. In fact, majority of my self harm etc happens in the week leading up to period.

I really wish people were less dismissive of PMS.
Ellieoncé
Issues: Depression, anxiety, self harm, disordered eating
preferred pronoun: she/her

Post by Ellieoncé »

I think it is PMDD too. However, when I talked to the doctor about it he didn't seem to think I have it as I do not feel only depressed when PMSing (huh?! life is hard man not just when ur PMS-ing lol) he suggested I double up my antidepressants in the week before my PMS starts which I might try! I think hormones can rly fuck you up
What would Beyoncé do
Imissmysun
Issues: Anxiety, Depression, past trauma healing,
preferred pronoun: she

Post by Imissmysun »

Hi Ellie,

You need a new doc,

You know your body - you know your normal and you know your super lows and your pain levels - this guy is not a God and he does not have it all figured out - just because he spent way too much money to get a degree does not mean he knows you better than you know you.

I think you like myself are very senstive to the changes in hormones that naturally take place during our cycles - being on any kind of birth control with hormones in it makes me extra irritable so I opt for non hormaonal versions...

You are a smart person and you know what you are feeling - it is not fake you are not seeking attention you are asking for help - find the right doctor to listen -
Just another messed up chick, who hates her body and face, and voice, and thinks she is useless and her stuff isn't that bad and she should get over it.
-Sarah St. Lunatic

Return to “Depression - Unipolar (non BiPolar)”