Depression Symptoms Gone When I First Wake Up

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
TonyM_Guest
Issues: Anxiety, Depression, Emotional Neglect, Pure-O, Covert Incest
preferred pronoun: he/him/his

Depression Symptoms Gone When I First Wake Up

Post by TonyM_Guest »

I am curious if anyone else experienced something I am going through right now. I have been experiencing low mood (more like hypomania than real depression) for about 6-8 weeks. It is pervasive during the day.

We have a new puppy at home that requires us to get up with her in the middle of the night to let her out to the bathroom. I am noticing that when I first get up to let her out in the middle of the night I am feeling a sense of real euphoria. It is 180 degrees opposite my depression symptoms. It usually lasts between 10-30 minutes and then I start to feel the low mood creep back in. I am also experiencing the same thing when I first wake up in the morning.

Anyone else have experience with this? I am bit concerned about what might be going on and am interested in how to get the higher mood to last. I don’t like the euphoria as it is too high but get things to mediate in the middle.
Mental Fairy
Issues: Recently sleep walking increased. History of anxiety depression
preferred pronoun: She

Re: Depression Symptoms Gone When I First Wake Up

Post by Mental Fairy »

Morning TonyM
This is something I’m personally familiar with and have found it a very defined feeling or awareness that was noticeable more over the last year or so.
After working with therapist and finding it was melancholic depression i started to tweak things in my morning routine.
The fact you are nursing a new addition to the family this may also play on the emotions a little.
Being an early bird I wake feeling ok then within minutes that voice in the head says things it’s shouldn’t. I saw learnt to kick the voice in the arse a little. Maybe look at tweaking your morning routine and incorporate something possible you enjoy. Get some fresh air or make a brew and acknowledge the emotions. Fight back a little in a nice way. Try something new or listen to something funny?
Hang in there, your not alone. You are human and finding the location in the brain where the emotions are coming from is key.
The euphoria you are describing I’m also familiar with but mine is about an hour at around 4:45am then crashes, I go for a run and it’s an amazing feeling then crash again. I’ve learnt the science why but I’ve also learnt the low is from a pre-existing condition related to eating issues.
Find it interesting it’s over the last few weeks for yourself.
TonyM_Guest
Issues: Anxiety, Depression, Emotional Neglect, Pure-O, Covert Incest
preferred pronoun: he/him/his

Post by TonyM_Guest »

Thanks for the reply Mental Fairy!
I really liked your insight on your own experience with this as I'm already a morning person. I actually had to ween myself off coffee because it just spiked my anxiety/depression so now I'm a tea guy except for special occasions. I really don't like that since I love the ritual of coffee.

What I'm struggling with is whether or not the "negative voice" in my head is right or wrong. I don't always disagree with it when it says that I should isolate or run away from my family (wife & daughter).

I'm already in an appropriate 12-step program so I'm fully aware of my emotional anorexia but that doesn't mean I always think that those things are "bad."
Mental Fairy
Issues: Recently sleep walking increased. History of anxiety depression
preferred pronoun: She

Post by Mental Fairy »

Hi TonyM
I really had to sit and think deeply on this one. The voice inside the head is very specific at times. Very demanding and sometimes just a whisper. I think sitting and going through the conversation within ones self, we really do have think what is true at the moment.
Your mind is amazing, truly beautiful and yours and yours only. You are whatever you believe yourself to be. The hardest part is accepting today is not a good day. Blame goes immediately to yourself or someone around you or external to you. There has to be blame somewhere. A lot of us blame ourselves. We form guilt, depression, anxiety. Who would you be without those thoughts?
You suffer inside mentally when you start to believe these thoughts, soon enough it becomes physical and you notice changers in yourself. You hide from the world and your closest friends and family to prevent them from seeing your inner mental tornado. Laugh things off or distance yourself. Currently battling with this and learning now to stop and ask myself what’s true in that moment.
Our pasts lead us to every moment. You my dear need to ask yourself after you hear that voice what is really true or a lie. Our brains are the biggest deceivers.

Return to “Depression - Unipolar (non BiPolar)”