Healthcare.gov plans and paying for treatment

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
Sufilizard

Healthcare.gov plans and paying for treatment

Post by Sufilizard »

I wasn't quite sure where to post this question, but I have severe depression (and anxiety too) that has gotten even worse since I lost my job in August. I have a part-time job that isn't nearly enough to pay the bills and my severance pay runs out next week. The week after that my health insurance goes away. The insurance sucked anyway, but now I guess I have to sign up for a plan using healthcare.gov. I can't afford any of the high-end plans, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with their Bronze-level plans and therapy.

I definitely need therapy. My suicidal thoughts are incessant right now so I definitely need to continue with the therapist I've found, but I can't afford the cost right now - she's giving me a 50% discount due to my employment situation, but I won't even be able to continue that after my next visit. Is there any kind of plan that includes co-pays for therapy? I know some of them include it for primary doctor visits, but I can't afford to pay my therapist out-of-pocket until I hit the $6,000 deductible (or whatever it is).

I'm just looking for advice on how to choose a health insurance plan that will be good for me. I need to go back on anti-depressants too, but even my family doctor costs me over $100 for the 10 minute visit I'll need to get him to write me a prescription.
fifthsonata

Re: Healthcare.gov plans and paying for treatment

Post by fifthsonata »

I'd suggest you call the healthcare marketplace line directly. Don't leave any guesswork. There is a line that can be found on their website....and they can also send you....I can't think of the term for them, but there are independent healthcare employees that travel statewide to help people get signed up for plans and find them the best possible options. Ask about it - I wish I had used that.
oak

Post by oak »

Good for you for using your voice to get your needs met.

I suggest you call 211 or your local Job and Family Services and tell them what you told us.

I can't advise about a bronze for therapy, but I did get a bronze plan myself a year ago. While slightly tedious and slow, the application process was not difficult. Further, the one time I have used my health insurance plan it worked exactly as promised.

Of course applying was simple for me because I didn't apply for discount: I just paid whatever the market rate for my state was (I was able to do this because I happened to be inching up the social economic ladder when the ACA rolled out.) I believe that one needs income verification for self (and I think one's household) to apply for the discount. If you are independent and working part time, it may very well be worth your time.

I encourage you to register now, if you can, at the ACA website, get a password and all, so you can be ready for open enrollment.

As far as bronze vs. silver, you have to judge for yourself.

One thing that shocked me, at first, is that my plan is a HSA, which has certain benefits and certain drawbacks. If I can I might switch to regular health insurance, if I can, from the HSA.

Here is the larger picture: health insurance/coverage is a major privilege. I didn't have health insurance for ten years (it was only coincidental that the ACA came out when I started to move up). It is amazing how many doors one little plastic card can open.

What I am trying to get at is that my health insurance premium will be one of the last things I don't pay if unemployed in the future.

One final thought: though I can only speak for myself, the dental plan I got through the ACA has been as frustrating and useless as the health insurance has been easy. It is likely that I chose a shitty provider. You can bet I will find a new dental provider when enrollment opens in two weeks.

Good luck. Keep us posted, definitely. I'll be very interested to hear how you do. Feel free to pm if you need encouragement when using your voice. At least I got the message loud and clear that as a working poor person in 2007-2013 that I was unworthy of healthcare (even though I was working!).

You have needs. Don't let anyone talk you out of what the ACA can provide. Pay the premiums, and you'll be okay. Just know what you are signing up for (ie HSA).
Last edited by oak on October 30th, 2014, 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
oak

Post by oak »

One thing I wasn't clear about: the HSA.

I am not suggesting to not get coverage if you can only get an HSA. As someone who went without health insurance for years, I would have loved to have an HSA.

If they are always great for all people at all times in all financial and health situations: well, that is another question.

Educate yourself, don't agree to anything you don't understand, and reach out for advice*. That means that you shouldn't wait til the last minute to register, look at plans, make a decision, and pay.

I suggest you register now, then go the marketplace when it opens on the 15th.

*I just remembered that food banks have trained (how well trained, I can't say) advocates for people registering and applying for coverage through the ACA.

Final thought: health insurance/coverage is awesome. It is absolutely worth whatever difficulty (which was not much, for me) in obtaining it.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
adamrose045

Post by adamrose045 »

If you can, at the ACA website, get a password and all, so you can be ready for open enrollment.

As far as bronze vs. silver, you have to judge for yourself.

One thing that shocked me, at first, is that my plan is a HSA, which has certain benefits and certain drawbacks. If I can I might switch to regular health insurance, if I can, from the HSA.

Here is the larger picture: health insurance/coverage is a major privilege. I didn't have health insurance for ten years (it was only coincidental that the ACA came out when I started to move up). It is amazing how many doors one little plastic card can open.
GuL

Return to “Depression - Unipolar (non BiPolar)”