freaking over anxiety and depression

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
bigeekgirl
Issues: depression/anxiety. co-dependence, disordered eating/using food to cope
preferred pronoun: she

Re: freaking over anxiety and depression

Post by bigeekgirl »

That's wonderful news!

The first few hours when I come out of a bad spell of anxiety or depression are so pleasurable because I feel live again. Not saying it's worth it but it's something "normal" people don't get to experience.
yes74

Post by yes74 »

It is good to feel the clouds lift a little. Now I need to focus on getting a job. I feel weird about even walking out my front door. My family thinks Im being lazy, they dont know about my mental illness. I dont know how to tell them Im in the midst of a meltdown, I know I cant control what others think, and maybe I should explain it to them but I just cant.
But I still am feeling a little better so thats a good thing.
bigeekgirl
Issues: depression/anxiety. co-dependence, disordered eating/using food to cope
preferred pronoun: she

Post by bigeekgirl »

I tend to lean towards telling people about mental issues, but I can understand why you wouldn't. Explaining is tricky and sometimes people don't understand, but most give me some grace when I tell them "some days are bad because I have these problems" even if they don't get it or say totally the wrong things. Odds are good someone in your family has experience with similar issues even if you don't know about it, so it might be worth speaking up if you have someone with whom you feel safe.

Working on getting a job should help full your time and suck up some of the energy going into anxiety. I wish you luck in finding something suitable.
yes74

Post by yes74 »

It is hard for me in general to open up about these things to people. Thats one of the reasons this forum is helping. Maybe I can find a way to tell them.
To find a job will be challenging also. I still have to work up to that. Its hard for me to focus right now. Ive been losing my keys, unable to focus on small things like dishes ect. My memory is not what it should be. Now I have to put on a tie, walk in a room and explain to "normal" people why I would be productive for there company while feeling really uncomfortable. I feel better then when I started this thread but there is a lot of stuff to work through.
Cinnamon

Post by Cinnamon »

yeah, you have a lot on your plate but hey, you have made progress on some of these and that is good.

Job interviews are awful, for even the most self-confident people. But don't assume the people on the other side of the desk are normal or that all the interviewers besides you are normal, whatever that is. focus on what you can do, whatever skills or experience you are bringing to the job. That is all they need to know about you. Good luck.

As for telling family, I agree with BigGeekGirl that telling is easier in the long run. there must be better advice on ways to tell the family than I can give you....but if they really are family, they will notice the behavior and may be wondering themselves if there is something or, even, that it is their fault or them causing tension (because we humans always think it is about us, right?)
yes74

Post by yes74 »

Yeah I need to just jump in and do this. My anxiety is all mixed in with add. So I'm also scared of losing another job and my unemployment. I always have done some kind of commission sales which is a very stressful job. The people in sales can be difficult also especially if you have these types of issues.
Cinnamon

Post by Cinnamon »

Interesting, though, that many people in sales/commissions (for example realtors) have a higher than normal occurrence of bi-polar because - I was told by a realtor who was and knew many who were....they can keep irregular hours/set own agenda and go full throttle when manic and avoid and drift a bit on the down swings....no set hours and boss, etc.
but I always countered that it also must make it worse to be fully at the mercy of the closing and commission, no matter how hard you work and to be in a profession that was based on pleasing others/getting approval to succeed. and I was told by this person that it does actually both help and hurt the illness, double edged sword.and it really is a "at the mercy of others" position in so many ways - I can't stand it and I don't have anxiety so it just must be so difficult to do with anxiety.

which makes me wonder, and I am sure you have consulted those sites/books that help you find your skills, but in general....
which jobs or careers work best for certain mental issues?

for example, to some extent, sociopaths can be great at certain jobs such as judge, media, certain military missions.

so i wonder if some careers work better for say, anxiety, depression, ADD, etc...
yes74

Post by yes74 »

I know my job has wreaked havoc on me because of my anxiety. I probably should switch careers but its tough to figure out what to do.
yes74

Post by yes74 »

I know I want to stop drinking wine to mask it. Ill have to get out tommorrow and do something. Other then stress.
yes74

Post by yes74 »

I feel better today I sent my resume out and am actually out doing stuff right now even though its freezing. I want to get my life together. I want to find ways to build up my self worth again. Its difficult but I guess that's just the way it is.

Return to “Anxiety”