I crashed so hard, now what?

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
randomletter_uckface
Issues: Anxiety, Depression, mild dissociation, sex and love addiction
preferred pronoun: she

I crashed so hard, now what?

Post by randomletter_uckface »

Hi y'all.. I hope you are doing ok.
I am not ok.
These past 2 years I really made an effort with my mental health and I was on my way to apply to an education that seems aligned with my values (physiotherapy) this year.

But I started getting bad again and kept close record of what was going on while I tried my best to exercise, eat well, meditate and do yoga.
It didn't help and now I am suffering from really, really heavy anxiety attacks and they scare me, I totally freak out and everything I know about self love and breathing goes out the window.
As I am adjusting to my new meds I am also looking for therapy, what do you think would work in a case like mine?

My life was fine when it all turned bad, I am not anxious about anything in particular and have worked through most of my old stuff I think.. I'm not sure of what I could talk about in a therapy session since my sickness seems so chemical and physical.
Could CBT still be helpful in a case like mine?

Any thoughts are welcome.
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.
preferred pronoun: "Good Boy!"

Re: I crashed so hard, now what?

Post by snoringdog »

Hello RLU!

I'm somewhat new here... been listening for a month or so. I remember reading some of your posts awhile back....

Not sure what to think about your situation, but maybe a question or two...

Change or start of meds? - This can be a big deal. How do the anxiety attacks you're having relate to the recent meds timeline?

For the last two years, things were getting better.... or not? Did you notice any patterns?

Has something major changed in your life situation? (I've been having anxiety attacks based on work-related situations that are somewhat out of my control. If I had more control over time and resources it wouldn't be as big a deal, but when I feel pressure without a way to easily handle, that's where the trouble starts).

What,, if anything, triggers these anxiety attacks?

I haven't tried CBT "formally" yet, but have read a bit about it, because I think it would help me. (Since what I thought of as "excess" talking about myself made me uncomfortable, and some times made me feel worse).

Seems that it was developed by a psychologist who saw that many of his patients weren't making progress after years of traditional therapy, who had been analyzed to death, and were asking "What Now?"

It's a set of practical tools and approaches to try to change your inner narrative from what it habitually has been.

There are a number of good books available if you want to check it out, including the one in the "For Dummies" series.

Here's wishing you well!

SD

P.S - If you have any music that helps, or that you like, we'd like to hear about it in the Music thread! :)
randomletter_uckface

Thanks for the feedback, snoringdog!

Things happened but they seem unrelated since my initial reaction always were: "Oh well, I guess I have to try another way then" and not "omg! what am I going to do now?!"
And I don't think I have reacted this badly to normal setbacks in life before even though I might be disappointed.

Must be the meds then.. It can't explain the awful anxiety I had before my new meds but idk..
I am really focusing on breathing and meditation this morning, and I've noticed that my computer and phone take up too much of my attention so I'll try and get out in nature more.
It seems to help so far, hopefully anxiety will stay away just for today. :pray:

CBT might be helpful, I am also sick of talking about myself all the time, I just want to know what to do to get forward in life.
rivergirl
Issues: Depression, Anxiety

Post by rivergirl »

Hi randomletter,

I'm sorry to hear you're dealing with this kind of anxiety. I've recently been listening to a podcast called The Anxiety Coaches Podcast. There's also a related private facebook group, etc. It's really specific detailed information about dealing with anxiety, and I'm finding it helpful at times.

As far as therapy goes, it seems like many therapists use a combination of approaches, and you may have to try a few sessions to see if a therapist is a good fit for you.

Wishing you a peaceful and calm day,

rivergirl
oak

Post by oak »

Hi! Thanks for posting.

I think you're going to be okay.

I don't have any advice/insight, per se, but there is something about what you wrote that tell me: "This person is going to make it".

Also, don't forget that physical therapists change lives. I know because one changed my physical life.

Things are very difficult indeed. Hang in there.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
randomletter_uckface

thanks so much for your support!

oak: what kind of physical therapy did you try?
I am currently looking into therapies related to the body and neuroscientific stuff.. might be a good approach, idk, I'm willing to try anything at this point.

Return to “Anxiety”