"Do you want to build a snowman?"

Don't be afraid to describe the way you'd like to be hugged and how it would make you feel.
SurrealistScone

"Do you want to build a snowman?"

Post by SurrealistScone »

[urlhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1ZHetiuRb0][/url]

Friends.

I saw Disney's "Frozen" the other night and for some reason this song has utterly destroyed me. I feel like an idiot because I am sitting here at work with this song going on in my head and I can't even function. I don't know why this song is making me so sad, to the point where I am trying really hard to hold it together and not break down and cry at work.

Thing is, real life events dont' really upset me. Hell, sad MOVIEs rarely upset me like this. ("Inside Llewyn Davis", for example, is a sad, depressing film but it makes me really happy to watch it) For whatever reason, this song is completely destroying me inside and I don't know why and I'm a little frightened. Maybe it's because it's about rejection from a friend. I don't know.

When the little girl sings "Okay, bye", I really...gad...blasdfasd

Does anyone else have a similar problem?
Sherlock
Issues: Depression, anxiety, psychotic break trauma
preferred pronoun: They

Re: "Do you want to build a snowman?"

Post by Sherlock »

I can get very emotionally affected by songs/things in movies/tv shows. I bawled my eyes out at the end of Black Swan, but I at least knew why: it was the way she threw herself into her art and how she embodies her art at the end in a sacrificial way. I really identified with that idea of sacrificing yourself for passion but related it to my feelings towards writing. But seriously, it was like baby sobbing with a temporary blindness and snot running out of my nose. I can also get songs stuck in a loop in my head and they can be embarrassingly silly--comparable things are only not coming to mind since I really push those songs out of my head when they come up since they annoy me, but even when they're silly, I know they're usually putting words to things I'm feeling. I prefer it when I get a Pink Floyd song or punk rock song stuck in my head, obviously. Maybe you can listen to something else if the song is bothering you, even if it's in a similar tone, it might help you process the feelings rather than stick to them.

I haven't seen Frozen yet, but listening to that song... it seems to be about isolating yourself to the detriment of yourself and others. That can be something very relatable on both sides of the picture, the one isolated and the one who feels abandoned. It can also certainly be about rejection, and since that's what you're picking up on that's what I suggest you explore more; do you feel more like Elsa or Anna in the song, do you think? Anyway, I think if your mind is stuck on it, it's probably worth exploring what the song means to you (and, again, listening to other music that comes to mind might be helpful also). For some reason Marble Halls by Enya just came to mind--it's a very soothing, pretty song but I always thought of it as kind of melancholy, like something was lost. But it could also possibly have a different interpretation (like when she says "that you loved me still the same" means all of the grand things she dreams/fantasizes about can't compare to that feeling). Maybe I just like that song a lot and needed to listen to it again, but I'll just link it to you on the off chance it also makes you feel better: http://youtu.be/xkoRx9qt7VI

Also, if you don't mind dark humor (murder/mild gore trigger warning) and cursing, I'll just leave this in case it can make you laugh, since I think of this whenever someone mentions this particular song from Frozen, and I think the scene by itself is hilarious:
http://youtu.be/JQ1ZOFNBL68 - Let's Build a Snowman from Cannibal: The Musical -- It has a much different tone. :dance: Matt Stone and Trey Parker do the Donner Party. Thought it might also be cathartic if you are at all getting annoyed by your particular ear worm...
I'll stay a threat/Stay a raised fist offender/My rebel soul/Will never surrender
SurrealistScone

Re: "Do you want to build a snowman?"

Post by SurrealistScone »

Heh I am glad someone took me seriously and could relate to being destroyed by media. I didn't even really like this movie that much, but for some reason the idea of a kid being rejected by her own sister was truly heartbreaking to me. I have certainly had situations where I wanted to play with a friend who did not want to play back. I remember roaming around large hallways trying to find something to do when nobody else was around. I remember feeling rejected.

That "okay, bye" lyric is so upsetting to me.

Return to “I Just Really Need a Hug”