Got let go from my job today, am

To start a post, create a new topic. Post about anything from changing grade schools to moving into a retirement home. Hopefully not in the same year.
oak

Re: Got let go from my job today, am

Post by oak »

You’re going to make it.

Specific moments may really suck.

Day in day out you’ll do great. Hang in there.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
oak

Post by oak »

So! You are one week in.

How are things going?
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
bigeekgirl
Issues: depression/anxiety. co-dependence, disordered eating/using food to cope
preferred pronoun: she

Post by bigeekgirl »

Thanks for checking in, oak.

The universe is hilarious. My cell phone stopped charging on Sunday, so I've only started applying for anything in earnest today. I'm going to get a new phone here in a few minutes - joining the family plan my brother-in-law has with my husband and mother-in-law.

Mostly, I've been cleaning, purging and organizing around the apartment. All those projects I don't have the time and mental energy to do when I'm working full time.
oak

Post by oak »

Oh no. Of course the phone would die right after losing your job. Only the most important part of a job search!

I hope you are doing well. You are doing everything right.

When you are ready to ramp up your job search, I hope you'll post here. I can offer some suggestions that I found helpful.

Good luck this week.
bigeekgirl

Post by bigeekgirl »

Thanks, oak. I've put in a few applications here and there for things that sound not-awful. I'm not in a huge hurry. A few weeks off would be just fine, really, and I do not want to go into a situation where I'm working evenings and weekends, or in a terribly oppressive environment like the horrific call center I was working at before this job.
bigeekgirl

Post by bigeekgirl »

I wrote a thoughtful update yesterday and accidentally deleted it by waiting too long to post and getting logged out.

Short version: I've had some anxiety and fear, insomnia and overall emotional fallout this week. Hanging in there, in large part thanks to my support group and in no small part because my husband is pretty darn supportive.

It's totally normal to feel what I'm feeling about this situation and I'm not trying to feel any different about it.

I've got multiple steps in my college quest in and have done all I can stand of online job hunting each day, plus I've done some much needed cleaning and organizing around the apartment.
oak

Post by oak »

Excellent!

Well done. Keep us posted my friend!
oak

Post by oak »

Update?

:)
bigeekgirl

Post by bigeekgirl »

It seems like every time I'm at the computer, I'm sucked into a rabbit hole of online job searches. I've got a couple things brewing, including possibly getting an insurance license and selling supplemental Medicaid plans and life insurance to baby boomers as they turn 65. We'll see.

I'm leaving today to go on a camping trip with some others from my support group. I'm not the outdoor type but it should be a good time. I'm glad I'm getting to spend a longer amount of time than I would if I was working. Trying not to feel guilty.
rivergirl
Issues: Depression, Anxiety

Post by rivergirl »

Hey bigeekgirl,

I'm glad you went on the trip. Don't feel guilty about taking a short break from job loss/searching stress.

rg

Return to “I'm Experiencing an Overwhelming Life Transition”