100% Agreement

Create a new topic if it isn't listed.
ghughes1980
Issues: Physical disability, mental disability, depression, anxiety, PTSD
preferred pronoun: He

100% Agreement

Post by ghughes1980 »

If you have eyes and can read you know I'm topic heavy in many categories on this board. They all boil down to this thread specifically I guess. The stress of dealing with non mental issues is really the crux of it all. How does someone deal with chronic illness and stay sane? When an underlying issue is compounded by stress and incurable only manageable, frustration builds so fast that management becomes unmanageable. the very thought of being conscious brings frustration and anger some days and oblivion is extremely attractive.
MizLzie

Re: 100% Agreement

Post by MizLzie »

Hey ghughes. I'm sorry that I can't relate myself to dealing with a chronic illness, however I have/had a few people in my life dealing with Crohn's/Colitis and see from the outside the toll it takes. Wish I had some words to share, but all I can do is give you props for the strength required to live every day dealing with your body. Shitty that the one thing we need has to turn against us.
eshkol
Issues: ME/CFS, social anxiety, depression

Post by eshkol »

Hello ghughes,

I completely identify with what you've written. I've posted about my similar struggles in another thread so I don't want to feel like I'm overstepping into another discussion to smear my own struggles over it. But I want to send you some support.

The important part of staying sane when you suffer from a depression that comes from a real, non-negotiable basis, is to validate that you're entitled to your sadness. I believe were's not entitled to feeling sorry for ourselves, but we are entitled to our actual feelings. In order to stay sane, you have to recognise the whole reality - including the fact that you have a certain handicap in the form of a chronic illness, and you have every right to feel that pain. Because the pain is objective, and nobody can talk you into denial.

I hope this suggestion helps. It's been a big thing to me. I wish you all the best.

e.
"You can't reason yourself back into cheerfulness any more than you can reason yourself into an extra six inches in height."
- Stephen Fry
ghughes1980

Post by ghughes1980 »

$1600 worth of Botox today I'm tired of management I really am. All to get certain muscles from a 7 on the pain scale to a 3. WTF is the point? I'm not sure anymore. All I want to to is go to sleep and never wake up this is so depressing.
eshkol
Issues: ME/CFS, social anxiety, depression

Post by eshkol »

Hang in there, buddy.
"You can't reason yourself back into cheerfulness any more than you can reason yourself into an extra six inches in height."
- Stephen Fry
CoQ10

Post by CoQ10 »

eshkol That was really good advice
i hope everything is okay right now ghughes
C
ghughes1980

Post by ghughes1980 »

I'm feeling utterly useless as of late, may wrist and fingers are out of commission. The pain is not too bad but all these braces really don't give me any mobility. One armed, one legged man in an ass kicking contest with depression, self loathing and boredom. There's too many hours in the day. This is so much fun (*sarcasm alert*).
LeeLeeLee

Post by LeeLeeLee »

I've never had to deal with chronic pain, so I can only imagine how difficult it must be. I really, really sympathize with you and send you a big ol' virtual hug. I do know that when I've had pain for more than a day (following injury or surgery), what was most striking to me was how the effort of bearing it wears one down. It's completely exhausting. And not being able to get rested from that must be so very hard to endure. Anyway, do hang in there - you are not alone - we're with you.
"There is a crack in everything - that's how the light gets in..." Leonard Cohen
lance

Post by lance »

I whine a lot on these forums as I too have multiple chronic diseases that by themselves aren't too bad, but combined they mount up. Yet, I know someone who has Complex Regional Pain Syndrome, formerly known as Regionalized Sympathetic Dystrophy. She's lost the use of one leg, and she say's the pain is like a really bad sunburn, everyday. She can't wear a shoe, a sock, or a pants leg on that leg or foot. Sometimes she gets edema so bad the skin splits. She takes a handful of drugs for an arrhythmia, edema, gerd, staff infection and other stuff. And she got Hep C from a the hospital. But she does not take pain meds. She has mastered some sort of Jedi Vulcan mind thing to get past it. And she's dealt with it for 30 years. Most people with this disease commit suicide because of the pain. She has an incredible mind to not rely on narcotics or opioids, and here I am ready to end it all over comparatively trivial problems.

I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad or anything like that. She tells me bad is bad, whatever bad is, and bad varies from person to person. And ghughes, you've helped me with your comments and observations, so I thank you, sir. Hang in there.
ghughes1980

Post by ghughes1980 »

I had a productive session yesterday, acceptance was the topic. Coming to terms with what is and what can be.

Return to “The Mental Burden of a Non-Mental Health Issue”