Explaining Work History Gap to Potential Employers

Create a new topic if it isn't listed.
SLASHMASTER

Explaining Work History Gap to Potential Employers

Post by SLASHMASTER »

I've been out of work for nearly six (!) years due to emotional issues. I'm currently in college and will finish my degree in about seven months. I want to get a part-time interim job for extra money and because that should help me get a better job in the future. I like to stay busy and take pride in my workplace so I know I will be an asset to any employer. I have six months of management experience, too. The only thing I'm concerned about is what to tell potential employers about my work history gap. I've been diagnosed with anxiety but I don't take any meds. I'm willing if I have to, but my therapist says I don't need them. Have any of you had experience with this sort of thing? I'd love to discuss this with my therapist but that costs $35 which I just can't spend right now.
oak

Re: Explaining Work History Gap to Potential Employers

Post by oak »

Excellent post, Slash. Thanks for posting it.

There is hope.

The answer is:

1. creativity
2. focused attention toward a specific goal (ie, action).

First up, congrats on your upcoming bachelors! That will open alot of doors.

Part of me hesitates to suggest it, since the stories are so heartbreaking. Here goes:

The gawker.com series "Hello from the Underclass" can give you idea of the realities of the modern job search.

I suggest you read a few of the installments not to depress you, but to impress upon you the competition you will face in the job market. As you know, the world of work is starker, more ruthless, and lower paying now than when you last worked six years ago.

Employers can be very picky, and reject a good or even great worker because they have another 50 or 100 or 500 people applying for one position.

So much for the bad news.

There is plenty of good news for you, if you are willing to compete.

What you describe is known as "The Gap".

As you probably know, job searching is much like a date. On a first date, one does not let loose with all the good and bad.

Same with an interview.

On a interview, one should not outright lie, but one is obligated to answer only the questions they ask. In fact, there are ways to spin a Gap or other resume problem.

The way to learn how to spin a Gap is better described in job search books. I suggest "What Color is Your Parachute" and "The Job Search Solution" by Tony Beshara.

You have to be ready to explain away your Gap. It can be done. It takes work, preparation, and practice.

If you are ethically okay with explaining away your Gap as "I was in college", then do so. If doing that doesn't jive with your ethics, then you gotta dig deep into Parachute, and talk with a career counselor.

If you are still an undergrad, and have 7 months til you graduate, here is what I would do if I were you:

Tomorrow, go to your career services office and tell them what you told us. Tell them that you are willing to do whatever it takes to improve your chances at employment. Look around the office; if they have a LinkedIn workshop next week, then sign up for it. If they offer mock interviews, schedule one. If they have on-campus interviews please do that.

If this seems like too much, consider that the people you will be going up against as finalists are doing all this, and more.

7 months may seem like a long time, and it may be very tempting in August to put a suggestion off for a day, which becomes a week, then it is months.

I say all this not to be jerk. If I do come across as a jerk, it is better to hear it now, in August, from some stranger on the internet than to lose out on a great job in December because of an easily correctable situation like a Gap.

Or, everything I say may be unnecessary. If you get a number of job offers, then awesome!

I am in a job search myself. It is okay if you end up like me or the poor poor souls in "Hello from the Underclass". But I'd rather you not join us, or reduce the chance.

The key is take action now. As an undergrad you have precious opportunities, including on-campus interviews. Please avail yourself of these opportunities.

There are people who have successfully overcome what you have described. Action is the key.

Good luck. Keep us posted. I wish you well.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
Jose

Post by Jose »

I have a 2 year gap between when I stopped school and started working. It's been tough to explain to employers, so I created a white lie I can tell the next time I'm asked: Housepainting. That's what I did for those two years. Did I really paint houses for 2 years? No. Did I in fact paint houses? Yes, but only 2. I'm also painting a house right now so I think that gives me enough credit to make it pass.
kitkat

Post by kitkat »

I think these guys explained it perfectly. I have been mostly unemployed for several years now as well, and what I usually tell people is that I am "learning new techniques" and "freelancing" and "building my portfolio," which isn't a lie, and it sounds nicer than, "panic attacks and self-esteem keep me from holding proper employment." And I don't think there's any shame in saying something like, "I've been bettering myself." Just be honest with the if they bring it up and remain confident and let them know that you are working hard even if you haven't been employed. :)
heathen1981

Post by heathen1981 »

I'm in almost this exact situation! I'm 6 months away from an AA degree and have been unemployed for four years. I'm trekking 70 miles round trip to school four times a week, and gas is my main expense. I'm running out of tuition refund money, and need a job ASAP. As much as I keep fighting, it seems like nothing is working. I hope you knowing you're not in the boat alone helps!
Cinnamon

Post by Cinnamon »

Did you do voluteer work? take care of a family member? develop skills of any kind? travel? blog? create?
unless you laid in bed all day you did something, it can be on resume even if it wasn't paid....
did you develop people skills by being in a support group? state - "developed group communication and dynamics experience" with non-paid position
you get the idea

Return to “The Mental Burden of a Non-Mental Health Issue”