Dealing with Being Alone after Long Distance Relationship

Create a new topic if it isn't listed.
anymomentinthewoods
Issues: bipolar disorder II, OCD, anxiety, depression, loneliness
preferred pronoun: she

Dealing with Being Alone after Long Distance Relationship

Post by anymomentinthewoods »

This weekend has been really tough for me because my husband is away for the weekend. This is the longest we've been apart since I flew over here to stay for good and I know I'm being totally ridiculous but I can't help it. I've cried a few times and just woken up feeling anxious and sad. It's been hard for me to get into a rhythm this weekend because even though I'm not in the house alone, I've felt lonely with Husband gone. I keep trying to tell myself that it's okay and he comes back tomorrow night but I'm still on edge.

People don't really talk about the long term effects of being in a long distance relationship, especially when one of you has a mental health issue. It makes you hold on to them so tight because you remember a time when you didn't have them around at all. It makes you feel unsure about yourself when they aren't around. You act like your time together is limited even though it isn't anymore. After having your life on hold so that you could figure out how to be together, it's hard to get your life started again. All the changes in your life hit twice as hard. It's also hard to think of yourselves as a couple and I hate that. I hate that it feels like we're two steps behind. I hate that my anxiety makes me think that he doesn't want to be my husband anymore just because he's away for the weekend.

I've been trying to take care of myself and remind myself that it's temporary and that I can exist without him and do well. But I keep feeling down and scared. I want this to go away, so that when we spend time apart in the future, I can feel whole and not worry so much.
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Re: Dealing with Being Alone after Long Distance Relationshi

Post by manuel_moe_g »

Hello anymomentinthewoods,

don't be so hard on yourself. With time you will be more capable on your own. Please be sweet to yourself in your time of upset.

All the best!
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress

Return to “The Mental Burden of a Non-Mental Health Issue”