Hey Y'all

This is a great way to begin using the site and to give us a chance to get to know you. We can't connect with you if we don't know what's going on with you!
Balboa3592
Issues: Anxiety, depression, weed addiction, emotional incest survivor
preferred pronoun: He/Him

Hey Y'all

Post by Balboa3592 »

Long time listener coming to the term with the facts that my marijuana use, depression, and anxiety are more out of control than I was willing to admit. Feeling a lot of shame and isolation and know I need help but having trouble taking that first step. Any support appreciated as I quit smoking in particular. Now is finally time!
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.
preferred pronoun: "Good Boy!"

Re: Hey Y'all

Post by snoringdog »

Hello Balboa3592,

Welcome aboard!

I used to smoke a lot in high school, and really enjoyed it for awhile for it's effects. But like a lot of things, it just became an unconsidered habit and started to make me paranoid, which I hated. Also noticed that it was affecting my short-term memory. So I stopped, thinking "This isn't helping me, so why continue".

What's been your experience? And have you tried any counselling or antidepressants etc for the A & D?

Wishing you well.

Snoringdog
Balboa3592
Issues: Anxiety, depression, weed addiction, emotional incest survivor
preferred pronoun: He/Him

Post by Balboa3592 »

Good to connect snoringdog,
I am kind of at that point with smoking weed. Not only is it something I feel I rely on to much to get through the day (with the excuse of using it for things like migraines, anxiety, depression, insomnia etc) it is also something I feel slows me down to much- particularly right now as I need to put all my energy into job searching.

As for the A & D counseling, for various reasons (childhood trauma around going to doctors, therapists being used to manipulate me....yay! thanks mom!) I have not really done that as an adult and it is something I kind of feel I need to work up to. But I am slowly getting there. Also currently uninsured...yay US Healthcare!
Heatherwantspeace
preferred pronoun: she

Post by Heatherwantspeace »

Hi Balboa,
I don't have anything specific to add but I am here cheering you on. Take things at your own pace. Keep going.
Heather
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.
preferred pronoun: "Good Boy!"

Post by snoringdog »

Hello Balboa,

Yes, that too, just started to make me tired.
When anything loses it's utility and just becomes a habit with negative side effects, best to stop and think why you're still doing it, right? Maybe there's something that works better. Where is it still helping... anywhere?

I think cigarettes are more difficult to quit than weed. Have you tried to to stop for awhile? If so, what's the dynamic?

Anxiety and Depression - they go together in my experience, sometimes simultaneously. Do you struggle with one more than the other?

Lots of leads on this stuff. Maybe drill down into a few of the discussions on the board to start...?

Wishing you well. :clap:

SD

Return to “Introducing yourself!”