Music

Share your creativity; your loves, fears, journal/diary entries, poetry, etc.
brownblob
Issues: depression and anxiety
preferred pronoun: whatshisname

Re: Music

Post by brownblob »

It's been two years since Chris Cornell passed. Here he is doing Reach Down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp-KrJGb5Sk
I don't like people much and they don't much like me. -A Beautiful Mind
I'm Homesick for a home I never had.--Soul Asylum "Homesick"
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.
preferred pronoun: "Good Boy!"

Post by snoringdog »

Good clip, thanks!

I remember when this happened, but wasn't familiar with the group or Chris Cornell.
Rereading the articles, it does seem like a change to his meds may have suddenly affected his thinking...

I'd like to imagine a duet of sorts with Chris and Janis Joplin,,,,,
brownblob

Post by brownblob »

Picked that clip because I thought you might like Mike McCready's guitar and it is a great but not well known song.
I was in my early 20's when Soundgarden and the other Seattle bands were popular. I had also been going through the worst of my struggles with depression (hospitalizations and attempts) so these bands with their darkness really made me feel less alone. It was sad and scary how Chris Cornell died at his age. I kind of hope I've survived the worst of my depression, but to see someone suddenly succumb after all these years is kind of scary for me.
Here's another one of his songs Fell On Black Days
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySzrJ4GRF7s
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.

Post by snoringdog »

Kick Ass! Thanks!

Surprising how songs like this can actually make you feel a bit better.

I hope you're stabilizing. Maybe some of that was due to youth? - hormones and the fact that our brains don't seem to be complete till about 25 or so.. We are so complex internally, sometimes I wonder why there aren't more people barking in the streets.

I've never made plans, but one time in my 20's I had an impulse to jump out a window during a period of great stress, and immediately after a blow up argument with a boss. A totally irrational and impulsive "Fuck this!" but it passed immediately.

As far as Chris, his widow relates in the Rolling Stone article that she thinks a change in his meds was the culprit.

Guess developing an inner narrative for times like that could see one through. (Like the ring inscribed "This too shall pass". Abe Lincoln had depression, and commented on this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_too_shall_pass).

Remember when I did LSD and mescaline as a teen, making a mental note beforehand that I was going to think differently, and to sit back and observe. Need to do that now... kinda like sitting on my own shoulder as an outside observer...
brownblob

Post by brownblob »

Yeah I am pretty stable. I am sure that my problems when I was younger were intensified by hormones and what not. I think there were many contributing factors- a defective brain, no support from family, no friends, isolation... You know the normal stuff. It was a really hellish roller coaster for awhile. It was kind of an adapt or die situation dealing with it and I learned to live with it.
I know what happened to Chris Cornell was kind of flukish, but we tend to find certain celebrities or musicians that we like and are attached to and it can sadden us when they die. With Cornell, it just hit home because it was ruled a suicide and he is from my generation. Almost like a warning to me to not take my mental health for granted.
There was someone on the podcast one time who told a version of the "This too shall pass" story. They told of the sad person who goes to see this wise buddhist sage and asks him for help and he tells him "This too shall pass" The advice helps him and he gets into meditation and everything and he goes back to the sage and thanks him and says he's never been happier and the sage tells him "This too shall pass"
snoringdog

Post by snoringdog »

Yes, I can't take my moods for granted, they change more quickly than I'd like..

Had a roiling mix of anxiety and melancholy yesterday (sounds impossible, like oil and water, right?). Listened to the Counting Crows "August and Everything After" CD. It has just the right mix and flow of melancholy and energy. Not a bad song on it, I think-

Here's "Perfect Blue Buildings"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSa1VtZhx2g
brownblob

Post by brownblob »

Great song. Great album.
brownblob

Post by brownblob »

snoringdog

Post by snoringdog »

"No Birds Today"

Beautiful. Thanks.

What a lonely world it would be without birds. They are important to me.
brownblob

Post by brownblob »

Just heard this song this morning on youtube. Words seem to be about emotional trauma.
The Cranberries- Wake Me When It's Over
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKwJrfF-0uY

Return to “Express Yourself”