Fit yet not healthy

Share your creativity; your loves, fears, journal/diary entries, poetry, etc.
oak

Re: Fit yet not healthy

Post by oak »

That is very high winds, our good friend Mental Fairy. Like the nightmares, I hope it calms soon. Keep us posted!
Mental Fairy wrote: July 21st, 2023, 12:48 pm Don’t ask me why but I find the complex history of America incredibly fascinating.
Perhaps the wiki wormhole would interest you:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_State_shootings?wprov=sfti1

This is the Kent State shootings, the same place I went as an undergraduate a generation later.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
Mental Fairy
Issues: Recently sleep walking increased. History of anxiety depression
preferred pronoun: She

Post by Mental Fairy »

It seems like history keeps repeating itself with shootings. It’s just endless.

The Native American history is incredibly fascinating as I see similarities between their history and the local Maori history here. We have a tv channel here called Māori TV, they play some wonderful documentaries about the Native American history as the cultural aspects are very similar as well as the racial divide.

The American civil war is also a part of history I also turn my ear towards when I hear a story or documentary about it.

We are such a young country in comparison and very little animals on our land kill, we don’t have dangerous bugs or grubs. Animals are all very cute and fluffy. And if not fluffy and cute they become a pest for eating trees or eggs. So the only animals on this land that is dangerous in NZ is humans. If I had endless pits of money I would travel the states and go to all the national parks and sites of history. Would be a dream come true.
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.
preferred pronoun: "Good Boy!"

Post by snoringdog »

very few animals on our land kill, we don’t have dangerous bugs or grubs.
We were visiting Rwanda in 2015 and while on a mini safari, we found a tsetse fly buzzing around us in the jeep. (They're like black flies or horse flies). Don't know why, but I'd always heard about sleeping sickness as a kid, maybe because it sounds so strange and exotic. So, we were (probably quite unnecessarily) concerned. :?

This led to a discussion of all the dangerous animals in Africa, but then the guides started going down the list for the USA. (From Rocky Mountain spotted fever, to snakes, to bobcats, to bears, to alligators, and on and on). Hadn't really made a checklist like this before, but upon return to the US, thought twice when leaving the house! 8-)
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.

Post by snoringdog »

It seems like history keeps repeating itself with shootings. It’s just endless.
It's a deep sickness we have, especially in the USA.

Unfortunately, our violent tendencies seem rooted in our DNA, and we share it with our cousins

https://janegoodall.ca/our-stories/chimpanzee-aggression/
https://www.livescience.com/47885-chimpanzee-aggression-evolution.html

Not all bad though, there's lots of co-operation and empathy in both groups...
Mental Fairy

Post by Mental Fairy »

Just under two weeks to go.

I attempted to run in public yesterday afternoon and that was an epic fail. My legs needed an extra day of rest and a couple of hours of yoga. Spent some time on the mat and got an early night, also because I knew I needed a long run this morning.

I awoke to a ball of fur doing laps around the bedroom, smacking the blinds, clawing the curtains and jumping on my legs from the top platform of her cat bed next to the window.
3:40am and the air was crisp.

Got a tinge of excitement when I opened the front door to find no wind.

Downed a slice of sourdough and peanut butter and gulped down a mug of Yorkshire tea.

The run became fluid after 8km. I added some extra mileage on today to prove to myself I can still do this. Midway through the run my self belief was failing, I put on a podcast of motivating speeches and had a very short 10sec tear when I heard some of the words. I powered through the final 7km.

About 1.5km till the end I saw a body moving ahead of me, coming towards me my Joe. He just did his first little jog to also get the motivation. Kind of warmed my heart to see at some mad hour of the morning!

Saw two falling stars, multiple satellites and Joe!
Dived into the ice bath as soon as I got home, it felt so beautiful, so refreshing and so rewarding.

I will begin to taper off next weekend in preparation, this is when the head games really begin. I don’t understand the headspace at the best of times but what really gets me is why do we just not believe we are ever good enough. It feels like it’s in my cells. The reverse thinking is so difficult to grasp, even when you hear it from others or in your earbuds.

It’s a frosty day here, ice on the cars and mountain looking spectacular. Time to make a lasagna and an apple steamed pudding.
oak

Post by oak »

Thanks for sharing, Mental Fairy. I’m glad your preparations are going well.
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
oak

Post by oak »

Mental Fairy, I hope your race prep is going well.

Also, your excellent example has inspired me to make preliminary plans for a kettlebell competition in October or (more likely) December.

These goals, running and strength, at first seem so daunting.
Mental Fairy

Post by Mental Fairy »

Thanks Oak
Currently on taper week now. Will do maybe two runs leading up to race day.
Headspace is not where I would like it to be but will get into the flow I’m sure.

I am sleeping a lot that’s for sure.
Attachments
IMG_3107.jpeg
IMG_3107.jpeg (29.06 KiB) Viewed 579 times
snoringdog

Post by snoringdog »

Go Go Go!

We're cheering for you and your friend already!

Return to “Express Yourself”