Woman jumps from overpass to her death

ArmyOfMe80

Woman jumps from overpass to her death

Post by ArmyOfMe80 »

http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_ ... -rush-hour

It was a challenge finding the right forum for this. Whrn I first read this, I was saddened for everyone involved. My immediate reaction, having dealt with depression and suicidal thoughts, was not to judge the woman who died.

When people commented about this on a local news page, the majority of the people were sympathizing with the driver. And that is nice of them. That has to be terribly traumatic for them. They have to be a wreck right now. As of me posting this right now, it only happened four hours ago, I believe.

But here is what bothers me. Some DID show sympathy for the jumper. Others showed sympathy, with "buts" attached. "But" she was selfish. "But" she was inconsiderate. Some even joked she was thoughtless to ruin the vehicle.

Now, most of us on this board has had serious suicidal thoughts, and I am willing to bet most of us have attempted. Imagine this woman's state of mind, to not only contemplate this, but to actually get up, drive down there, and lean over that side..... She had to be in a horrible frame of mind.

On that local message board, one woman said about an hour ago, "You know she had to be thinking 'Ha, I'll show them.'"..... No, on the contrary, I think most suicidal people are in deep despair, fear, and hopelessness. But her comment really clues you into how misguided some people really are about suicidal depression and people who commit suicide in general. I don't think many people envision someone who is crying and screaming "help me!", they see someone who is just vindictive. And that's not the case.

On that board, posts offering prayers to the lady who jumped and links to the suicide hotline received maybe 2-3 thumbs up, if any, while the posts judging the woman and calling her selfish or praying for the driver ONLY, received up to 30 thumbs ups. :|

I guess my point in posting this thread is to encourage all of you to concentrate on this deceased woman and her family and send her warm loving thoughts and/or prayers (if you pray). Positive loving thought energy is a powerful thing. This woman and her family deserve far more loving and compassionate energy than what they are receiving.

Thank you.
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Re: Woman jumps from overpass to her death

Post by manuel_moe_g »

Well said, Army.
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress
oak

Re: Woman jumps from overpass to her death

Post by oak »

Yes, thanks for sharing. I agree with everything you said.

IME, newspaper comments are just the worst, the absolute worst.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim

Return to “Discrimination”