Hiyoooo!

Tell us something about yourself. Post as new topic.
Jose

Hiyoooo!

Post by Jose »

Hey, how's everyone doing? I'm a 24 year old who just discovered the mental illness happy hour a few weeks back and it quickly became my favorite podcast! I love its blunt and brutal honesty, a lot of these comedy podcasts I listen to are about one upping eachother with jokes or who can be more offensive and it's really refreshing to see that Paul has carved out this place in podcasting that's about hearing people out and by listening to them hoping we can understand ourselves a little better. It's been working for me so far!

Well, I'm glad to be here! Like I said about podcasts, so many of these web forums can be about one upping eachother and I can admit that I've said some really offensive and hurtful things on message boards under the guise of anonymity, it's good to know that this place isn't for that. I've suffered from depression for 10 years, but I'm actually at a time in my life where I'm feeling really good about myself and kind of just looking to connect with some like minded people who maybe share a bit of the same worldview, maybe not. I can learn from you either way!

Forgive me as I begin navigating the forum. I may be more anxious to share than read other people's posts at first, but trust me- I want to get to know all of you on a personal level. I've just had a lot bottled up lately and need to get some stuff off my chest.

Thanks for reading!
serious_oregon

Re: Hiyoooo!

Post by serious_oregon »

Super big welcome, Jose! Glad to hear you're in a good place. Please share your experiences and give feedback. We're a tight little community and you'll always find a friend here :) See ya around!
"Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand." - Legendary singer/songwriter/poet Patti Smith
Cheldoll
Issues: Depression, anxiety, anorexia, sexually abused
preferred pronoun: She

Post by Cheldoll »

Hey Jose, welcome to the forum. I'm 25 and I've suffered from depression for 13 years -- so I win. Just kidding! I'm actually losing.

Seriously, though, I'd say I've been doing well lately. That's not to say that I don't have frequent relapses, but I'm handling them better.
It's awesome to find people in a similar place in their lives as I am, so I'm happy you're here. If you find yourself still too anxious to post around here, shoot me a PM and we can just chat about whatever.
xoxo,
Chel

" Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do,
care about many of the things you care about, although most people don't care about them.
You are not alone. " — Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
Jose

Post by Jose »

Hey Chelsea! ( I'm assuming that's your name ) Thanks for the warm welcome. I've been having trouble making a connection with anyone over the internet lately so I really appreciate your reply. I can't say that I'm very familiar with the mental illness forum but it looks like you've been a member for a long time!! Maybe you can show me the ropes ;) I really love the show, I think it's my favorite podcast...I'd never heard people I admire talk about their issues so honestly and it has made me feel less alone. Now that I'm part of the forum I'm looking forward to getting to know the other listeners in all of their sad glory!! Anyways, I think I've been handling my depression well lately. I just generally feel bummed out all of the time, like I should be somewhere else in life, and if I'd made certain decisions down the road I COULD be there. UGHH!!! It's a really frustrating feeling. I wouldn't even say I'm depressed right now, just unfulfilled. I need to start replacing bad habits in my life with good ones that will hopefully lead to a positive outcome. I'm definitely in a slump right now, but I know I'll get through it. Been off my meds for two days, maybe that's the problem!!
Cheldoll
Issues: Depression, anxiety, anorexia, sexually abused
preferred pronoun: She

Post by Cheldoll »

Ahhh, nonono... it's just Chel. People always try to make it into something more like Chelsea or Michelle or something because apparently four letters isn't good enough :? so I go between feeling guilty that I can't conform to people's expectations of my name and feeling hurt that I have to even worry about it when meeting people. My mom told me if I were born a boy they would've named me Lester. Not sure if that would be better or worse...
xoxo,
Chel

" Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do,
care about many of the things you care about, although most people don't care about them.
You are not alone. " — Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
serious_oregon

Post by serious_oregon »

Chel is an awesome name. I think it's great because it is very unique; just like you!!!
"Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand." - Legendary singer/songwriter/poet Patti Smith
Jose

Post by Jose »

okay, chel. Got it. Very interesting name, haven't heard it before. Did your parents make it up? Be thankful your name isn't lester, creepiest name on earth for a guy with how easily it can become mo-lester.

Return to “Introduce Yourself Here”