Episode 135: Christina Jasberg

Post discussions as new topics.
gfyourself
Issues: Emotional eating, dysthymia, anxiety

Episode 135: Christina Jasberg

Post by gfyourself »

She was raised by a father with Schizo-Affective Disorder (whose symptoms can include delusions and paranoia) who would often break from reality. By her twenties she was battling the same disorder along with bulimia, anorexia and cutting. She has had over 80 psychiatric hospitalizations and she shares about coming out the other side, including the people, support and therapies that helped her.
kitkat

Re: Episode 135: Christina Jasberg

Post by kitkat »

She sounds extremely fascinating and like an amazing person. I am ashamed to say that I had to stop this interview part-way as all the talk of cutting, while it wasn't extensive or graphic, was making me feel queasy, so I had to skip it. From what I did hear, though, it seems like she has gone through so much and it is so inspiring to hear about people who keep going through and working on themselves. So brave!
ghughes1980
Issues: Physical disability, mental disability, depression, anxiety, PTSD
preferred pronoun: He

Post by ghughes1980 »

I related quite a lot to this ep being in the double digits for hospital stays myself. It can be very disheartening to have to keep going back for the same thing again and again. This adds to depression and strains relationships with family. Then add out patient treatment afterwards and your stress level goes through the roof.
Lilla

Post by Lilla »

I understand what exactly she's talking about, there's no pain when she cut herself.
I totally get that, cuz I'm a cutter myself. And I tried to stop so many times, but every advice I got from ppl, therapist, just seems useless to me. Wish there's someone could tell me how to stop... :(
reddelicious

Post by reddelicious »

I thought this was a really good podcast. I really wish there had been more of a TW as far as her cutting, though. Various guests have talked about cutting but not to the detail Ms. Jasberg did. On one side I am glad she did as far as the mental state and process but the actual cut details really flipped my switches. Maybe we need more real talks about cutting?
soliloquy

Post by soliloquy »

This was probably the most amazing episode I've listened to, mainly because what she said resonated with me.

My stomach felt like it dropped when she said she had a hysterectomy because of hormones, and I knew I found a kindred spirit when she said she was diagnosed with Temporal Lobe Epilepsy. Both of those things have happened to me in the past few years. Though I've never been hospitalized, everything she said pretty much mirrored my journey to now.

I want to hug this woman and tell her she's in no way alone.

Jenn
camouflage

Post by camouflage »

Thanks so much to Paul and Christina for sharing as part of this podcast. I am a new listener and starting on my own recovery journey. Many of the things Christina (and the other writers on this podcast) said rang true for me. Thanks to them for sharing honestly - I hope she knows that she is helping me out here stick with it and helping me overcome my own shame and stigma.

I was not particularly bothered by her descriptions of cutting, though they did bring up some memories. But when she started to talk about her recovery, I really teared up. I found it very moving and powerful.

So I especially loved her descriptions of coming out of the darkness. Some parts that resonated especially:

- when she hit bottom and had the moment of decision that her goal was to stop cutting and get better. I have lived with symptoms and habits for a long time until I "hit bottom" a little while ago and felt I had to make a decision to live or die. When I decided to live, I realized I had been avoiding making a commitment to get better for a long time. Her story resonates with me about the importance of making - and keeping - a commitment to myself.

- her road to a vocation and a life of meaning: helping others through peer counseling and sharing her story. She truly has a wealth of education and experience that can help others. Many times I feel like a "failure" and her words help remind me that everything - especially "failure" - is a lesson in life that can help others on their own journeys.

- the learning she is still doing. For example, recently she has become aware that her hormones have been a big factor in her continuing depression. It is a good reminder that the mind is so mysterious and complex - biology and environment are constantly interacting. It really DOES take a lifetime (or more!) to figure out what might be going on.

Truly inspiring. I am going to recommend this podcast to anyone I know who feels hopeless and like there is no way out of their illness.

Camouflage

Return to “Discuss the podcasts.”