Getting my father help

Erin was inspired to become a therapist through her own struggles with depression and anxiety and specializes in working with individuals suffering from major depression (including suicidal thoughts), chronic anxiety and/or emotionally abusive relationships. She is based in Los Angeles.
homestretched
Issues: Anxiety, depression, substance abuse, sex addiction.
preferred pronoun: He

Getting my father help

Post by homestretched »

I'm in such a bad headspace right now, let me lay the groundwork and I can fill in details later as needed.

I'm a 32 year-old gay male, with a younger brother (by five years) and a younger sister (by eight years). Both siblings still live at home. My parents have been married over 30 years. Throughout our lives, my dad has been emotionally abusive to all of us for different reasons, but especially towards me, as I was the first born son. My intuition tells me, and a little bit of folk psychology too, that my father harbors a long-held fantasy that his wife (our mother) is in fact his own mother who was emotionally absent from his own childhood. He sees his children more as sibling rivals, vying for the attention of my mother. Any attention she has ever given us, he resents, not her, but his children.

All my life I was shamed by my father for "taking advantage of your mother" and not "doing enough to help your mother around the house". Funny this, considering my father does nothing for himself. He's jealous, controlling, possessive, unpredictable -- a bully if you ask me.

Over the past year he's pushed his children further and further away. No one has been speaking to him for at least the past six months. He doesn't think he's ever done anything wrong. He's the world's greatest father. Anything he's done that has hurt us, is because we're misunderstanding his intentions. I've heard so many times, "I didn't mean it that way".

A few months ago my mother wrote a five page letter outlining every way my father has hurt her and our family. I've not seen the letter, but I do know that my mother told my dad, "You've ruined my life." She held on to it, finally giving it to him last week.

Following this letter, my dad said he "wants his family back." For whatever reason, my mother is now putting on my shoulders the process of getting my dad "help". He's been in therapy once before with mixed results. My mom is ready to throw him out. My sister isn't willing to play ball anymore. I quote:
I just told mommy. I know u want us to all be a family and be a unit. But I don't want that. I don't want him in my life. I know he needs help but I have had enough. I want nothing to do with him.

She seems like she wants him to get help so we can all be together because that first time around wasn't the right kind of help. So we need to try another type of help
But I don't really care that the first time wasn't the right help he needed. Like now we should wait and see the help he gets the second time around is the right kind of help. I don't want to do that. I could care less about him.

This is going to end with daddy telling mommy I want help. Will u help me find a doctor. And of course she will. And we will just be doing this all over again.

I just have a feeling. If he said to mommy today. I want help. I need to find a doctor. She would be doing this all over again in a heartbeat. Because to her it's easier to stay together then to separate
My dad emailed me to set up a phone call. I don't know where to start. It's too late for apologies. I am willing, however, to help him get "help." But what kind of help? How soon? What happens if he doesn't follow up? I have always feared my father. I've never been able to stand up to him my whole life. This is an opportunity to do just that, but I don't know if I can.

Thanks!
Brooke

Re: Getting my father help

Post by Brooke »

I am so sorry you are put in this position...you are probably the responsible one in the family... I'm sorry that your father has treated you so terribly your whole life. And you are incredibly generous and responsible for taking this role of getting your father help. But I just want to reassure you that your father is not your responsibility. You are not responsible for anyone else but yourself. You are not doing well emotionally and you are trying to help your father. My heart breaks for you. It's ok to let go of him and start focusing on taking care of yourself. Your father is a grown man and he does not deserve for his children to be responsible for his actions. If he really wants the help, he can do it himself. Sure, you can refer him to a therapist, but that's about it.

You do not need to carry his emotions for him and be there so he can lean on you. I completely understand about feeling responsible and guilty, but we need to look after ourselves first. If you are not ready to reconnect with him, you don't have to do anything for him. You are not obligated. It doesn't matter how soon he gets help or if he follows up. If you feel like you cannot stand up to your father, just distance yourself so you can create a safe space without him. That's really powerful and maybe better than "standing up to him." Please take care of yourself first.
Fargin
Issues: Avoidant Personality Disorder

Post by Fargin »

I'm 42 and I still fear my mother, so I know that dilemma.

I'd worry, that taking responsibility for his problems, would be opening up a can of worms. If you do, you might come to feel responsibility for your parents continued marriage or their marriage breaking up, for your father's therapy, for him following through or his failure to do so. That's a lot of responsibility, for someone who's been completely irresponsible towards you.

There's a third option.

1. You help your dad.
2. You stand up to him.
3. You stall, dodge, avoid answering his e-mails/calls.

I think it's a difficult choice, feeling some sort of obligation and fear. Me personally, I still fear my mother too much to confront her, but I also know, that compromising myself in order to help her would do tremendous damage to myself and what little progress, I've made for my own well being.

Whatever you chose, I'd say no matter how against your nature it is, you have to prioritize and take care of yourself first.
rc409
Issues: Suicide, bi polar, depression, addiction
preferred pronoun: he

Post by rc409 »

I understand what you are going through and grew up the same way. I wonder if it is the same guy? Sorry for you being in this mess....

Anyway, you'll have to look to outsiders to help with this. The emotional things going on with this sort of relationship are way, way too tough to deal with on your own. I always felt like when my dad died I'd be free of this feeling. Hes been gone ten years now and our relationship has not changed. Hes still there.

You are standing at a crossroads now and what you do has a real chance of fixing this relationship. You'll get back your self respect and probably earn your fathers as well. It wont be easy, and probably feels impossible, but heres your move.

We have a grown up man who has no idea how to get emotional or psychological help? Really?

He is setting you up for six months from now and saying, "See, I did just what you told me to do, and the guy you sent me to is an asshole. He made me worse..........."

He might not even realize it, but these guys are programmed to do this.

Heres what you say...."Dad, I love you. You need to go into your family doctor and tell him you act like a fucking asshole and need some emotional help. May I please have a referral to someone who can help me...AND I DONT WANT TO HEAR A WORD FROM YOU UNTIL THIS HAPPENS......UNDERSTAND?"

and thats it

I grew up with one of these. You never want to be in a situation with them where they can say, "I did just what you told me to do and it did not work"

Return to “Erin Fox Bishop MFT Intern”