Exhausted by my husband's depression/drinking

Whether it is good or bad, talk about it here.
teaandtoast
preferred pronoun: she

Exhausted by my husband's depression/drinking

Post by teaandtoast »

This afternoon I came home after a long and trying day (and week). My husband was asleep, as he usually is in the afternoon. I decided to lay down also and take a nap. When I got up he was drunk, as he usually is in the evenings. He's either at work, traveling for work, sleeping, watching TV, or drinking vodka sodas. I feel like I can almost see him drawing any bit of light and energy I have and sucking it into a black hole when I have to be around him. I care for him, and at the same time, I don't like him. I feel anxious and depressed just being in the same room with him.
sleeplessincali
Issues: Depression, anxiety, weight
preferred pronoun: She

Re: Exhausted by my husband's depression/drinking

Post by sleeplessincali »

I'm sorry to hear that. Alcoholism is a rough disease and I'd suggest looking for an Al-Anon group in your area and connect with others whose loved ones are struggling with alcoholism.
teaandtoast

Post by teaandtoast »

Thank you for your kind words. I am definitely considering attending an Al-Anon meeting. I have a difficult time saying he is an alcoholic as he is still responsible and holds down a good job. At the same time, many of the signs are there in my unprofessional opinion.
hobojungle
Issues: Depression. Anxiety. Agoraphobia. Possible ASD.
preferred pronoun: Lady

Post by hobojungle »

There is something called high-functioning alcoholism. Al-Anon meetings are the support you are looking for. Best wishes teaandtoast.
I am acceptable; you are acceptable.
sleeplessincali
Issues: Depression, anxiety, weight
preferred pronoun: She

Post by sleeplessincali »

I understand I have a loved one who is very high functioning and these groups have really helped for the toll that is takes on one person dealing with it alone. I wish you you the best and you have support here.
gata5
Issues: toxic childhood, narcissistic mother, trouble adulting

Post by gata5 »

Hi.
I feel you. I also don't seem to get the time to go to a meeting. My husband works a lot and I have a little one.
Some days I just want to disappear.
I see this post is very old, but teaandtoast, has anything changed? Are you feeling better?

Return to “How Do You Feel Right Now”