Christmas cliches: I am wasting my life.

Whether it is good or bad, talk about it here.
oak

Christmas cliches: I am wasting my life.

Post by oak »

Happiest of holidays to all my dear MIHH friends! <3

I have been sober for ten years, and not-working poor for five, and emotions continue to bubble up.

I am wasting my life.

More specifically, I am wasting the hours, days, and minutes of my life due to getting angry at work, my commute, and the dumb town I live in.

There is more I'd like to say, but it is too much to handle right now, so this will have to suffice. I am enough.

Thanks for listening.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
Heatherwantspeace
preferred pronoun: she

Re: Christmas cliches: I am wasting my life.

Post by Heatherwantspeace »

Hi oak,
I hope today is looking a little brighter.
Sometimes I feel embarrassed that I'm just getting my life together at 54, learning for the first time how to make friends, something everyone else seems to understand!
Just being is enough. Nothing more is required of us.
A hug if you want it, or an enthusiastic wave if that's better.
Heather
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Post by manuel_moe_g »

It hurts to see someone who I admire suffering like this.

I wish I had the ability to step out of my autobiography and really know how best to help.

https://www.amazon.com/Guide-Good-Life- ... 1522632735 A book that really helped me

Lately, I have been thinking about (1) the gap between stimulus and response, and (2) making hard choices in those gaps to get a different result.

When you really feel that you can act in the gap between stimulus and response, celebrate it, those are rare moments, and don't beat yourself up for not having those moments exactly when and exactly how often you desire. You identified a gap between stimulus and response and you are living in it, celebrate this moment, because it is an opportunity to really be alive!

A hard choice is one where you must give up something, to get something different than you usually get, hopefully in an irreversible way.

Does this make any sense? How can I better help you? You are my friend, and I hate to see you suffer.
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress
oak

Post by oak »

Thank you my dear friends!

@Heather: reading your kind, helpful, encouraging post I immediately thought "52? That's young. So many good years ahead!"

Then I realized I can offer the same acceptance to myself. I hope you have a lovely new year.

@Manuel Moe

Awww, thank you, Manuel Moe. I have taken your advice about stimulus and response to heart.

There is much more I'd like to say, but it still too raw. Using one's words is hard, sometimes.

Many thanks and much love.
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
rivergirl
Issues: Depression, Anxiety

Post by rivergirl »

Hey Oak,

I'm a bit late, but I hear you and am all ears if you feel like sharing more later.

This time of year can bring up painful reflections, but I hope you can give yourself a little bit of a pat on the back for all of your efforts and for how much you've already grown.

You are very much enough (Oak is a jolly good fellow, in my view!)

Happy New Year to you, and I'm sending a bit of California sunshine your way.

rg
oak

Post by oak »

Awww thanks RG!

I accept your California sunshine, and send some non-dour neo-stoic sobriety to you!

I remembered that I wrote a letter to myself last Jan 1, and put it in my Google Drive.

Of the ten great goals I listed, I achieved one: getting my own place. Though I don't like the complex, I love my apartment. It is clean, there is food in the fridge, and I even have home internet, effective Christmas Eve. (I was afraid the kind installer would find it messy, but I was endlessly pleased when he declared it "real clean" compared to some of the other places he's installed routers.)

This upcoming year I am going to be a little easier on myself, and only have two goals:

1. Continue to take care of my teeth and gums
2. Be more loving and accepting

I know people say this sort of thing every year, but maybe 2019 will be the year. Oh, and true love.

(Crosses fingers.)
brownblob
Issues: depression and anxiety
preferred pronoun: whatshisname

Post by brownblob »

Resolutions are usually a recipe for disappointment. I wish you a great 2019 whatever that shall become
I don't like people much and they don't much like me. -A Beautiful Mind
I'm Homesick for a home I never had.--Soul Asylum "Homesick"

Return to “How Do You Feel Right Now”