Losing My Therapist

Whether it is good or bad, talk about it here.
remarks
Issues: overeating, anxiety, seasonal depression, emotional incest
preferred pronoun: Hey You!

Losing My Therapist

Post by remarks »

I started doing online therapy one year ago. I wasn't sure about it, but got matched with a great therapist. I have trouble opening up to people, but I've really warmed up to her. I feel like we have a great connection.

Then during this week's session, she drops a bomb on me: she's not going to be able to continue doing online therapy because her day job is changing. So I have one month left with her and then I either have to start over with someone else or stop altogether.

I know Paul went through this recently as well. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Do I really want to go through the entire process again? Is it worth it? What if the new person is a bad match for me?
Beany Boo
Issues: Risk averse, conversation difficulty, relationship difficulty
preferred pronoun: He/him

Re: Losing My Therapist

Post by Beany Boo »

There’s a fair chance that after a year, even if you’re not aware of it now, that you have made some good progress.

Especially so, if it was a good fit.

And you found a good fit this time around. So you might know what it takes now to make a good fit.

Even if the transition is difficult you can specifically talk that leaving experience through with someone new listening. And arrive at the new therapist with that progress in tow.

It might even be worth taking a pause before seeking out a new online therapist, just to check in with yourself.

There’s no need to rush through the selection process.

Also, you could ask your current therapist if it would be possible for her to brief your new therapist.

She might be able to do so in a way that sets up your new therapist to be slightly ready to catch you. She may also say ‘no’ to that, but it’s worth asking.

And you could talk through your vulnerability now about the sudden finish, while there’s still time to do so.
Mr (blue) B. Boo

‘Out of nowhere the mind comes forth.’ - Zen koan

‘Let go or be dragged.’ - Zen proverb

‘Knowing how to yield is strength.’ - Laozi
oak

Post by oak »

Remarks, that is too bad. A difficult situation indeed.

Having been there myself, as usual I stick with the example of my moral hero, Goldilocks: give anyone a chance, but ditch them if they aren’t soon effective.

Unfortunately most counselors suck, so you may have to go through five, maybe even ten before you find a good one.

But keep at it, because you’re worth it.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
remarks
Issues: overeating, anxiety, seasonal depression, emotional incest
preferred pronoun: Hey You!

Post by remarks »

Thanks, Beany and Oak. Your words do help!
rivergirl
Issues: Depression, Anxiety

Post by rivergirl »

I'm sorry you're going through this, Remarks. I had a similar experience of only seeing someone for a year, and then finding out she was moving due to her husband's job. I did find another therapist but it was a difficult time. I agree with Beany & Oak's advice above. Hang in there.

Return to “How Do You Feel Right Now”