Sleep apnea, GERD, and obesity: efforts to fix this.

Whether it is good or bad, talk about it here.
oak

Re: Sleep apnea, GERD, and obesity: efforts to fix this.

Post by oak »

Friends, are you ready for some encouraging news?

This week

At long last I found a doctor who actually cares!

My new sleep doctor spent over an hour with me (!).

In addition to prescribing a CPAP, she referred me to a nutritionist. She really listened, offered me options, and then boom-boom-boom authorized it.

Really, friends: if you aren't getting medical care to your satisfaction, keep trying until you find someone who cares.

My current situation, and next steps

Fact: I still have sleep apnea, and all apnea is a serious health concern.

Happily, I am doing better both quantatively and qualitatively: my recorded numbers (AHIs) are down, and I feel less tired during the day. I don't feel well-rested, yet, both I have a clear plan for both appliances and nutrition, in addition to my ongoing fitness.

Thank you for joining me on this journey.

While I am still at risk, I have come a long way.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
Mental Fairy
Issues: Recently sleep walking increased. History of anxiety depression
preferred pronoun: She

Post by Mental Fairy »

Oh Oak thank you for that update. I’m so happy your moving forward this is so positive and felt a sigh of relief for you reading this. Good things take time.
rivergirl
Issues: Depression, Anxiety

Post by rivergirl »

I'm very late getting this news, but I'm happy for you Oak. You've made progress toward better health already (the gym!) and the new doctor seems like an important milestone. Please keep us updated.
oak

Post by oak »

Thanks MentalFairy and RiverGirl! :)

This is perhaps the most important week in my two-year struggle with the hell that is sleep apnea: I begin effecting the specific recommendations of the nutritionist.

While my fitness continues to be an unqualified success, and the appliance-pursuit is whatevs, by most accounts the key to losing weight is nutrition.

This Saturday, before I go to my second 5k, I hope to have a preliminary implementation of the Mediterranean diet the nutritionist recommended.

I’ll keep you all, my dear friends, up to date!
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
Mental Fairy

Post by Mental Fairy »

Hi Oak

Your second 5k? Is that a walk, jog, swim? Take each day as it comes. Nutrition is paramount. Any form of movement such as 5k make sure you take something as protein base as possible after. Helps with body repair. Eggs are fantastic for recovery.
oak

Post by oak »

Mental Fairy wrote: June 15th, 2022, 3:59 pm Your second 5k? Is that a walk, jog, swim?
MentalFairy, thank you for inquiring!

I waited to reply until I completed it. I went from 75 minutes for my first 5k to 56 minutes for this one. So something of a brisk walk!

Yes, it was a 5K run, and I walked. I felt very comfortable there today, and in the gym last week: I was never a jock, but I am happy life has given me a second chance. I'm even thinking about aiming for 45 minutes at future 5Ks, which will take some planning and effort.

This week I'm working with my mental health counselor on goal-setting for implementing a Mediterranean diet. With the fitness going well and appliance on order, diet/nutrition is the big big big main event for me and sleep apnea.

Thank you, friends, for listening!

Edit to add:

This was the lowest of low-key 5Ks: it was in a small, lovely town, and after a few days in the 90s, it was 60 with no clouds. A lovely day. I felt great afterwards, and want to lose weight so I can do these more frequently.

On foot is really the way to see America. I saw:

A train.
A black squirrel (they are really getting far afield from our dear Kent State).
The county courthouse.

One forgets how pretty small-town America is.
Mental Fairy

Post by Mental Fairy »

Hi Oak

Super excited for you on the movement of 5k.
Make sure your goals are set in a realistic range and rewards are also key.
It might sound odd but I do get super excited when I hear of others reaching goals such as this.
Protein post walk/jog/or anything strenuous within 30min after.
This will on the long term help you with sleep.
oak

Post by oak »

Mental Fairy wrote: June 19th, 2022, 4:04 pm Make sure your goals are set in a realistic range and rewards are also key.
Thank you, Mental Fairy! (1) It is easy to forget the "rewards" aspects of these efforts and goals. (2) Recently I've felt like yoga has "chosen me"; this probably deserves its own thread, particularly since I have a "history" with yoga (I am not a beautiful young woman), but for now I just wanted to share that with you!

Friends!

This is a big ten days/two weeks for my sleep apnea:

1. PT session (last Thursday): I sprained my ankle, mildly but clearly. Effecting his recommendations will help me continue everything I've been working on/enjoying with fitness.

2. CPAP receiving (this Friday, eg two days from now): This is the big one, friends. While I remain convinced diet/exercise are the most important aspects to curing my sleep apnea, I'm wholly and warmly open to all ideas. I will give this CPAP a good try, just like I am proud of the effort I gave with the experimental appliance this past winter.

3. I Zoom meet with the nutritionist (Monday, eg five days from now).

4. I increasingly effect a delicious, if not entirely beef-free, Mediterranean diet. I am excited by the recipes I found through my beloved Libby app.

These are the big deals, friends!

My anxiety is a 6, yet I am happier/more content than usual. I'll post after the big day of Friday. Thanks for listening!
Mental Fairy

Post by Mental Fairy »

Hi Oak

Your making steps forward so that is great. Yes an ankle injury can be annoying and disheartening but you do have working arms my friend! Swap to upper body work outs maybe until ankle fully healed. Glass might feel half empty at times like that but replace it with a smaller glass and move forwards.

Across the globe i applaud you about using the CPAP machine. I am hoping this helps.

I like how you are coming from all angles with your changes, diet, movement, cleaning, trying new things. Gets the brain making new connections and releasing those all important chemicals.

If you take the time to look back on your posts months ago you can see how far you have come.
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Post by manuel_moe_g »

oak wrote: July 13th, 2022, 5:36 am CPAP receiving (this Friday, eg two days from now): This is the big one, friends. While I remain convinced diet/exercise are the most important aspects to curing my sleep apnea, I'm wholly and warmly open to all ideas. I will give this CPAP a good try, just like I am proud of the effort I gave with the experimental appliance this past winter.
Hey, CPAP buddies! I started using my cpap machine 2 days ago. Playing with the humidity setting, not feeling fully rested using it because my body is not used to having this thing on my face and being attached with a tube to my nightstand. It is less loud than my mom's cpap machine and more user friendly. It has a reporting feature when you turn it off - it says I have difficulty breathing about twice an hour (!)
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress

Return to “How Do You Feel Right Now”