Mindfulness

Suggest books, magazines, websites, website articles; anything in print including graphic novels or comic strips.
oak

Re: Mindfulness

Post by oak »

Very good, BeanyBoo. Thank you for sharing.

I hope the pencils continue to give you satisfaction.
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
Beany Boo
Issues: Risk averse, conversation difficulty, relationship difficulty
preferred pronoun: He/him

Post by Beany Boo »

Thank you Oak :wave:

The pencils are doing very well.

80F534E4-6E4A-42E4-8EF0-4997DED5033A.jpeg
80F534E4-6E4A-42E4-8EF0-4997DED5033A.jpeg (52.33 KiB) Viewed 343 times
Mr (blue) B. Boo

‘Out of nowhere the mind comes forth.’ - Zen koan

‘Let go or be dragged.’ - Zen proverb

‘Knowing how to yield is strength.’ - Laozi
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.
preferred pronoun: "Good Boy!"

Post by snoringdog »

There is something really satisfying about writing with an old fashioned #2 pencil on good paper... :D
Beany Boo

Post by Beany Boo »

SD :wave:

Exactly!
Mr (blue) B. Boo

Mental Fairy
Issues: Recently sleep walking increased. History of anxiety depression
preferred pronoun: She

Post by Mental Fairy »

Hi our insightful beany

I have a question or two….maybe three.

Meditation…… I’m currently working incredibly hard on this as it’s something that’s been brought up multiple times over the months. Now doing one small meditation in morning post run, and one long one post work.
As I’ve had time off I have really put this into play and stepped it up a notch.
Today was incredibly hard and became restless and agitated. I cleaned the floors, washed surfaces, replanted plants and cooked up a quiche.
Rolling out my yoga mat I began a meditation and walkthrough of my childhood garden at my grandparents. It took me an hour to just walk around the kitchen and observe. Now, I know I’m not asleep as I’m aware. I can see textures and also contents of cupboards. I can feel underfoot surfaces and then suddenly I hear an internal male voice. It was incredibly brief and also strange. It felt like it came from my left side. As soon as it happened it was gone. I carried on with my walk around.
With your mindfulness practice you partake in do you struggle with meditation and how do you approach it?

Having a friend whom teachers and has doctorate in Kinesiology I asked her and she said when she works on patients she has no recall afterwards of what was said or what was felt. Only in that moment of work does she open up.

This is part of the body protection for her so she doesn’t take it on post examination. However, with meditation I ask if you yourself are able to fall into this state of meditation easily and if so how?

It’s all incredibly interesting
Beany Boo

Post by Beany Boo »

I follow the secular version of zen meditation. I did an 8 week MBSR course. All it requires is to:

Sit with good posture
Breathe normally
Close or half close your eyes

That’s it. There’s no visualization or mantra. I am just being still and letting the world as it is pass across my senses. I experience the affects in my body and mind, then letting the affects go, to be present for more that follow after, over and over. There are exercises but they’re to bring you closer to ‘no mind’; grasping at nothing, resisting nothing.

They do recommend having a slightly longer daily meditation on that basis. Then during the day having lots of little (1 - 5 minute) ones; what they call, commas, where you dip back in.

The benefits are I am less reactive and let go more, instead of getting hooked in, in daily life. I stop efforting. I am not trying to achieve anything in the meditation. I am taking a break from achieving.
Mr (blue) B. Boo

Beany Boo

Post by Beany Boo »

I had a moment today where my workaholic urge was blocked. I am more or less aware of the anatomy of it now. I’m sure it’ll happen again but the storm has gone out of it.
Mr (blue) B. Boo

Mental Fairy
Issues: Recently sleep walking increased. History of anxiety depression
preferred pronoun: She

Post by Mental Fairy »

Thank you for that information.

I’m struck by the thought of ‘just being’
Sitting in the moment without thought is so incredibly hard. The meditation I was doing was somewhat guided as I needed the prompts.

Having done months and months of hypnosis I found it beneficial to visually walk through areas of the mind or focus on an end goal. Generally In sport or relationship with myself.

Much like uncle has to relive and regress his murder prior to release I had to relive trauma and in almost infinite detail. This helped me connect to my inner child. It took years to get to know her.

With the meditation I feel it’s like a reset of the brain once it’s gone on it’s own little negative exploration of areas i seem to lean into doing when tired or stressed. More so tired.

To allow flow to happen in a day I guess not thinking to far ahead helps or thinking of the past to much. We just nod and acknowledge and accept what is?

I have Kinesiology today at 10. This I find is intriguing.

Thank you beany.
Beany Boo

Post by Beany Boo »

Just being is not no thought. Thought is to the brain as breathing is to the lungs. I can’t not think. In the meditation I just let it happen, or observe it like weather passing through.

Anyway, good luck!
Mr (blue) B. Boo

Beany Boo

Post by Beany Boo »

I had another moment this afternoon, same as yesterday.

It was yet another remove though from the workaholism I didn’t realize I was in the grips of.

It was, I got angry, but it was in context and didn’t go beyond that; beyond the moment.

In other words, I wasn’t afraid of my anger or it’s affects.

So it didn’t get overly charged.

I was also less afraid during the experience of growing uncertainty and stress rising.

It was humbling.
Mr (blue) B. Boo

Return to “Literature/Websites”