Mind Body and Trauma

To start a discussion post as a new topic.
manuel_moe_g
Issues: Depression, Anxiety
preferred pronoun: he

Re: Mind Body and Trauma

Post by manuel_moe_g »

Ha! Everyone has a breakfast bowl!
~~~~~~
http://www.reddit.com/r/obsequious_thumbtack -- Obsequious Thumbtack Headdress
Mental Fairy
Issues: Recently sleep walking increased. History of anxiety depression
preferred pronoun: She

Post by Mental Fairy »

Getting second thoughts about going to therapist tomorrow. Does everyone have this feeling?
manuel_moe_g

Post by manuel_moe_g »

I love going therapist, but then we talk about exactly what I want to talk about, and I want to talk about things that help me right now
~~~~~~
oak

Post by oak »

Mental Fairy wrote: December 7th, 2022, 5:14 pm Getting second thoughts about going to therapist tomorrow. Does everyone have this feeling?
Word.

Been there.

Here is how I handle it:

Go to the session, and explain that I may end it at any time, with no warning.

eg: Not that I’m trying to be offensive, but that this situation is a lot to handle, and I may need to leave immediately at any moment, with no notice.

Edit to add:

You can also limit the scope of the discussion to non-scary topics, such as your duck plans for 2023.

Something to consider! 🙂
Work is love made visible. -Kahlil Gibran
A person with a "why" can endure any "how". -Viktor Frankl
Which is better: to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? -Skyrim
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.
preferred pronoun: "Good Boy!"

Post by snoringdog »

I agree with Oak, no need for you to feel anxious or that things are out of your control.
If you're exploring uncomfortable topics, take things slowly and at an agreed-upon pace, right?
Mental Fairy

Post by Mental Fairy »

In New Zealand we have a saying and it’s basically words that resonate through centuries. Most situations are soon followed by ‘she’ll be right mate’. But this follows with a lack attention to one’s emotions and feelings. Everything is brushed over and we get on with it and fix everything with a bit of number 8 wire and pat our sheep!

I soon found it that things aren’t right and are very confronting. Last week I would have crawled into the therapists office on my hands and knees crying and begging for the headaches and heartaches to stop.

This week the dust has settled and I feel like I’ve fluffed and emotional electric blanket and put it over the feelings and emotions. However, I am back to sleep walking and putting cat food in the drawers and finding an incredible amount of cat toys all over the house in weird places the cat can’t get too!

Gosh! Poor therapist tomorrow won’t know what to say!

I want to say thank you to all of you for being there. It’s very humbling and comforting.
I’m thinking I am bloody lucky to have you all.
Mental Fairy

Post by Mental Fairy »

The view from my office window
Attachments
4AC29370-4AC8-419B-80F7-141DDC15229D.jpeg
4AC29370-4AC8-419B-80F7-141DDC15229D.jpeg (35.69 KiB) Viewed 371 times
snoringdog
Issues: anxiety, depression, automatic negative thoughts, intrusive thoughts, SAD.
preferred pronoun: "Good Boy!"

Post by snoringdog »

Beautiful!

It's been rainy and gloomy here for the last few days..
manuel_moe_g

Post by manuel_moe_g »

Gia, when emotions are big and scary, does just dumping and vomiting it all out help you? It helps me, but then my mind is wicked and it helps to have someone point out in real time where I am catastrophizing
~~~~~~
Mental Fairy

Post by Mental Fairy »

Hi MM and all my friends

Oh and snoring dog I would trade places with you, I love grey and gloomy days. Rain is so soothing and the clouds I adore.

Manuel Moe, very good question and for some reason it made me teary. I thank you for asking.
To be honest I feel like I go to battle everyday at work. Yes, it affects me deeply and I brush it over and move past it but I leave the emotions at the door. Sadly it’s the wrong door I leave them at.

I pretend after about a week of torment and battling a medical system, disease, reading results and dictating reports that all is ok.
Last week and the week before were so bloody hard. This poor women whom is so scared and she took it out on me. She is going through hell and I’m her only person who gets it. On many levels.
I treat my patients like they are family and each and every one of them get the best care possible.

I walk away, I flip out, I cry, I get angry and I get even with life and take it out on myself I guess.

Therapy reminds me I’m not bullet proof, I’m hurting too. It’s not always ok, and it’s not easy.

I find therapy raw, like he has removed my shield and taken away my coping mechanisms.

It has actually struck me how your question effected me.

When I go to therapy Manuel Moe, I feel vulnerable. That is something I don’t handle well.

Also, my therapist knows about you all helping me and he absolutely adores this forum. You all have played a part in getting me this far as I have with you all in some way. That matters.

No one stood at my mums funeral and said she helped others in a transformative way, not one person said that at my dads unless it was a police office or victim.
But at my nanas funeral the love poured out those doors, it flowed through the room and past the passers by. My grandad (grampy) his headstone says “A truely wonderful man, who did life his way’.
I love that.

I don’t want a funeral but I do want to make a difference. And if the day comes I want you all to know you have all been a positive part of my life and i wouldn’t change any of you for anything.

And that’s why I have to go to therapy!!!!

Return to “PTSD”